Pretty poor show from Ray mear's office

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I think they'll be finishing early today and trying to post orders received overnight.
The website does say that to guarantee delivery for Christmas make the order before 2pm Thursday.

They were posting all orders over a tenner rmsd at no extra charge too.

Give them a break big chap,I've had nothing but excellent service from the company.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
"It is 'policy' chuckled the man I spoke to, who found it funny.."

I dont care what their policy is, this kind of attitude would have been met with my cancelled order.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I worked in retail management for 16 years , this is my first xmas of not doing that Job .
One thing that always happens at this time of year customers always expect the staff to able to bend the rules more than they can because it is xmas .
The woodlore staff member would not of been allowed to let you on the premises due to there liability insurance because they are not a retail outlet , if he had done this for you then he would of potentially be putting his Job on the line and putting the company at risk .
If one of my staff members had bent the rules like this and put us at risk and then told me they had done it because it was xmas my reaction would have been to take them to investigation .

The real problem I used to have in the 3 or 4 days before christmas is that all the blokes who hate shopping come out to grab things last min and they always seem to give the staff a lot of attitude because of the fact they find shopping a stressful experience.
I am not saying you where giving the woodlore staff member attitude but it may be worth bearing in mind that it is very likely that he has been dealing with a number of bad attitude customers today which may of lead to his seemingly indifferent attitude towards yourself .
That said if one of my staff members had made one of my customers feel like that without taking the time to fully explain why they could not do something then I would want to know about this.
Maybe as you feel strongly about this you should think about writing an email to state your concerns and give them an opportunity to respond to you .

^^ Excellent explaination.

The other reason that's not being considered for the ban on drop in visitors is that the owner of Woodlore, namely Ray Mears, is a very well known TV personality. With that comes the issue of 'gawpers' who drop in on the off chance to catch a glimpse of their hero. This can be annoying and distracting so being able to keep such people to a minimum they have the policy of vistors by invite only

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Ive never had anything but excellent service from Woodlore, i contacted them earlier this year to help source some replacement parts for a product that is no longer in production, they went beyond the call of duty and even went as far as giving me the name and contact details of two of "their" suppliers so i could contact them to try and source the parts direct, cant ask fairer than that.

Wodlore state quite openly they do not do retail sales and as mentioned above by various posters, askign them to break the rules "because it's Christmas" is just out of order - sorry.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Chill out some Bert, is my response, it is a busy time of year at the warehouse you called.
Happy days to everyone on the forum.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I have always found woodlore excellent to deal with , you could get your axe from Roger at Bison Bushcraft he's not far, I think!

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
I do not know if it is the case know, but the business actually used to operate within a part of Ray's home and hence the no personal collection rule. He does not want everyone konwing his home address which is not unreasonable. In the past when I have made a similar request, I was met in the car park of the local station. They could not have been more helpful.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I don't think you have anything to complain about.

You attempted to purchase something in a format that is not supported by the company you were trying to buy it from.

Woodlore always has been a mail order company- period. They will not have the appropriate insurance to allow for customers to visit their workplace.
The guy probably chuckled as he get asked the same thing many times, with the people on the phone hoping to meet the man himself.

When i got my Norrona jacket from them i was unsure of the size to order. Woodlore offered to send me TWO jackets in different sizes while paying for just one, then send back the one i don't want. Granted they would probably keep my card details to charge me for both should one not make it's way home again but it's little touches like that that keep me going back again and again.

I am staggered that you feel the need to badmouth the company when it clearly states on their site that it's mail order only.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
As a customer it is your absolute prerogative to take your business elsewhere if you feel like it or if there is anything at all about the shopping experience you didn't like. Others may disagree but it's your money. Give someone else a chance to do the business.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Give them a break big chap,I've had nothing but excellent service from the company.

Really big man? Dont tell me you phoned them up and offered one of your leaky tents in trade for one of their golden eagle bags and they didnt laugh at you lol only kidding gaz, i agree excellent service, wee Scotties wages must get paid direct to their bank account now.

Into_the_wild

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2011
Neath
I ordered a knife from them yesterday & it came this morning, no charge for delivery.
I wasnt expecting it till after crimbo. Happy Days :)

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
I think the "office" is ray's home address. I can understand not wanting the bushcraft community to know where he lives. On the other hand it is a simple piece of communication to explain the reasons why they don't welcome personal callers. I would also like to point out that I have no connection (and have had my issues with woodlore) but I have had very good customer service from the guys in the office - I can only imagine that they have the usual silly season of orders and are looking forward to a well earned break.

Merry Christmas to you all

Chris

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
FAO WAYNE
Thanks for pm- I did Rob but he had not stock but was helpful and said I could drop down and see him anytime! Nice
General Info
Bought items from Ronnie at Ronnie Sunshines who merits his name- always a smile & a welcome; he laid out the axes out for me to chose from and thanked me for my business despite the fact that it wasn't a large transaction- A pleasure to experience again. Heartily recommended. Thank you Ronnie.

As far as RM is concerned, I was quite happy to park on the street and call- I hardly think a wee effort could not have been made such as to open a door and a drop off a parcel to a waiting car- but hey that's just me- what do I know about service after 30 years in senior positions in the hospitality industry... LOL-
Merry Xmas everyone! may you be filled with some 'bushcraft' spirit.
Just about the right time to strain my sloe, ginger and peach gin too :)
Merry Xmas boys and girls :campfire:

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think Ray should have a little shop somewhere, and he should be behind the counter. One of those honest and up front places where you can always call in for a bit of advice and a natter, a bit like Arkwrights :)

Fair enough he'd get a bit of hassle for the first few months, once a few hundred internet forum weirdos have stopped bothering him it'd just be like any other shop though.

Come on Ray, sort it out lad

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
I think Ray should have a little shop somewhere, and he should be behind the counter. One of those honest and up front places where you can always call in for a bit of advice and a natter, a bit like Arkwrights :)

Fair enough he'd get a bit of hassle for the first few months, once a few hundred internet forum weirdos have stopped bothering him it'd just be like any other shop though.

Come on Ray, sort it out lad

And would he be "OPEN ALL HOURS" Rich Boom Boom

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
FAO WAYNE
Thanks for pm- I did Rob but he had not stock but was helpful and said I could drop down and see him anytime! Nice
General Info
Bought items from Ronnie at Ronnie Sunshines who merits his name- always a smile & a welcome; he laid out the axes out for me to chose from and thanked me for my business despite the fact that it wasn't a large transaction- A pleasure to experience again. Heartily recommended. Thank you Ronnie.

As far as RM is concerned, I was quite happy to park on the street and call- I hardly think a wee effort could not have been made such as to open a door and a drop off a parcel to a waiting car- but hey that's just me- what do I know about service after 30 years in senior positions in the hospitality industry... LOL-
Merry Xmas everyone! may you be filled with some 'bushcraft' spirit.
Just about the right time to strain my sloe, ginger and peach gin too :)
Merry Xmas boys and girls :campfire:

Glad you got sorted. :)

I have always had good service from Ronnie Sunshines.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE