Ghillie Kettle cooking

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
ok i have ordered a Ghillie kettle with cookset and i have the loose idea of popping in some briquettes or lumpwood charcoal after brewing up to cook on. Anyone know if the heat would be too much for the fire pan anyone tried it just thought it would offer longer cooking rather than trying to feed sticks in and run the risk of flame flare up...

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I've put briquettes in my storm kettle before with no bad results. I placed 3 round the edge of the fire bowl and then built the fire in it. Thus using the fire for boiling the kettle to light the briquettes to heat the food over. I must admit I had mixed results. I found the heat wasn't really intense enough to really cook much on but I admit that I didn't really persevere much as it was lunch at work so time was limited and I had a bonfire going so I just gave up and cooked on that. Probably more briquettes would have improved things and I could have left the briquettes longer to get going. Either that or maybe a switch to lump wood charcoal which I find burns hotter although doesn't last as long (although probably plenty long enough for this purpose).

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Unless it's a stainless one you'll melt it (or at least wreck it) burning without water to boil (or are you just using the base)?

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Still might damage it but they're easy to bend back into shape. Would it not be easier to use a steel food tin or similar?

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Unless it's a stainless one you'll melt it (or at least wreck it) burning without water to boil (or are you just using the base)?

I had the cook kit which consists of a pan with frypan / lin and a 2 piece grill that sits on the base. I tried the briquettes to see if they would give a heat that I could cook over without having to keep feeding a little fire in the base. As I say I tried it a couple of times but didn't really persevere with it. I'm sure that if I had wanted to I could have made it work but I think lumpwood charcoal would probably work better and last plenty long enough for the sort of cooking I would be doing on this set up.

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
I haven't tried with the storm kettle, but I have with many other types of wood stove. My experience is that they just don't generate the heat with charcoal for some reason.Not sure why, but I couldn't boil a kettle.
As soon as I put some wood in, they boiled.
I bought the cook set with my storm kettle and must admit I think that it was probably a waste. The kettle does a brill job of what it is supposed to do, i.e. boil water quickly.
Alan

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I haven't tried with the storm kettle, but I have with many other types of wood stove. My experience is that they just don't generate the heat with charcoal for some reason.Not sure why, but I couldn't boil a kettle.
As soon as I put some wood in, they boiled.
I bought the cook set with my storm kettle and must admit I think that it was probably a waste. The kettle does a brill job of what it is supposed to do, i.e. boil water quickly.
Alan

have to agree with that. I got the cook set and don't use it either

Orric

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
was planning to brew up normally with sticks then slap the lump wood in for cooking with the grill not for use as the kettle cant see how it would differ than a wee BBQ for a burger, bacon or bannock. My only real concern was whether it would melt the base or not...

cheers for the posts so far i should be getting mine this week so ill have a play

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I have spoke with steve form Ghillie kettle and He says that it will be fine to use briquettes or lumpwood charcoal in your kettle. He said he has used hotter stuff than that when testing the Anodised kettles !!

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
Slight caviat.....I would not allow much of a breeze to enter the fire pan..:...it would become a little forge in essence.....keep the hole turned away from the breeze or use a lump of earth et al as a windbreak/damper to control the airflow it it is breezy.

Plus I only used 4 nice sized lumps of charcoal in the pan....was good to go.

Mojo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE