Your goose is cooked

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
We shall see little viking.

Scorching off the feathers is a good point - also in a 'survival situation' remember to boil the bones, feet ect to make your stock/soup - waste nothing.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Richie said:
[/QUOTE
Strangely, Canada Geese as in the tutorial, can be either wildfowl and therefore subject to open/ closed seasons or a pest where no season applies. This depends on thier numbers. :shock: and just helps to add to the confusion...

Just wondering where you got the information that Canada Geese can be included as a pest species as to my knowledge it is a Schedule 2, pt1 bird which has a closed season of 1st Feb-31 Aug or 21st Feb-31 Aug when below the high water mark. I haven't seen it listed in Sch2, pt2 which lists the 13 pest species

Cheers

Richie

I have no idea where it says it in law but I know/know of several people who control them out of season as part of pest control.

Cheers

Mark

Realgar

Nomad
Aug 12, 2004
W.midlands
TheViking said:
It's a very nice tutorial, Gary! :D Is it possible to get one on rabbits/hares also? :roll:

I would like to see how that is done, as i've never tried it. :)

I've got a hare coming at the weekend, it should be intact & furred so I could do some photos. I'm intending to tan the skin too.

Realgar

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Realgar said:
I've got a hare coming at the weekend, it should be intact & furred so I could do some photos. I'm intending to tan the skin too.

Realgar
That would be very cool! :D

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
there you go little viking ask for a rabbit demo and by a hares breadth you might get one!!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Interesting!

Off topic slightly anyone read 'CLAN OF THE CAVEBEAR' or associated books? These are full of old remedies ect - really interesting stuff, and good storyline too.

Nexttime your sister wants some goose grease rubbed on her chest Martin ............ :wink:

Sorry - bad gary!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I just looked through that Defra site and read this:

Legal status
The release into the wild of animal species which are not native to Great Britain, whatever their proposed use, is prohibited by the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (section 14).

This section of the Act also prohibits the release of certain animals which are already established in the wild in Great Britain (click here for the list of species affected).

When you "click here", under the bird section it has:

Branta canadensis
Canadian goose

So in theory, if you have caught a Canada goose, you'd either have to keep it for ever and ever and have a licence for it.....or.....mmmm roast goose!!!!

I know this to be the case also as I had squirrels in my loft a few years back and I was all for shooting the little critters with my air rifle but my girlfriend said I wasn't allowed (not legally...she just didn't want me to) and that we had to get the pest control in. When they came round my grlfriend (now my wife actually) asked them if they woud catch them humanely and then release them....the guy agreed that he'd catch them humanely but said he then had to kill them as he wasn't allowed to release non native animals or he'd be in trouble....

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
isnt there a difference between keeping them and releasing them in to the wild.. so you wouldnt need a liscense to keep them..

if they were grey squirils then good! :)

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Not sure....I just told him to do what he liked with them so long as they were out of my loft.
I did read on that DEFRA site that you need a licence to keep Grey Squirrels, Minks and something else....the licence is free for the squirrels and mink but £160 odd quid for the something else... :eek:):
Hang on...I'll go find it... Got it....

Under the Destructive Imported Animals Act 1932 (as amended) certain non-native mammals may only be kept in captivity under the authority of a licence.

Section 8 of the Act permits the issue of special licences to keep:

mink (Mustela vison),
coypu (Myocaster coypus)and
grey squirrels (Sciurus carolinensis)
for exhibition, scientific research or other exceptional purposes. Guidance on applying for a licence is given below.

Please note that it is an offence under section 14 of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended) to release or allow to escape into the wild grey squirrels, mink and coypu without a licence (click here for details).

The something else was Coypu....whatever that may be!

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Just going back to Goose/fowl preperation.... I seem to have ideas about hanging up chickens, ducks, geese etc for a few days before they are prepared.... they might have had the throat slit to bleed them...or they might not. I really can't remember how/what/why this was done and to which animals....

anyone got any ideas?

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
bambodoggy said:
Just going back to Goose/fowl preperation.... I seem to have ideas about hanging up chickens, ducks, geese etc for a few days before they are prepared.... they might have had the throat slit to bleed them...or they might not. I really can't remember how/what/why this was done and to which animals....

anyone got any ideas?

All bird and mammal meat benefits from some degree of hanging. Fish is usually best eaten as fresh as possible, but I was told by the mother of our local fishmonger many years ago that sole should be left in the fridge for a couple of days. It improves the flavour and helps with skinning (I had caught an enormous Dover sole and she very kindly showed me exactly what needed doing to it. It was far too good a speciment to risk making a mess of and I wasn't very good with flat fish in those days).

Birds traditionally are not bled and are hung by the neck in Britain (in France, they hang them by one leg), un-gutted. Hares are traditionally paunched (except in very cold weather) and hung by the back legs, head down and the blood collected in a pot tied/wired to hang under the muzzle.

The length of time you hang things depends on ambient temperature prevailing and the degree of gaminess that you like/can tolerate. Personally, I wouldn't hang a grouse shot in August for more than few hours. A pheasant shot in January and hung in a cold outhouse can hang for a week or more. A fly-proof cool larder is an asset, but you can improvise with mosquito netting.

Deer are gralloched immediately they are shot. Our American friends place great emphasis on getting the carcass cooled down quickly. Even so, I like my venison hung in a cool environment for a week.

Burnt Ash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE