Yew flat bow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I've posted this one on paleoplanet but I think a few folks on here might like it.
I started this bow a couple of years ago but spent a long while working on a stiff spot with the result that the bow came in under draw weight. So I piked it by four inches and heat treated the belly and introduced some reflex. It is now 62" nock to nock and pulls 56lbs at 27". it has elm burr tip overlays and squirrel fur string silencers (home tanned).

2007_0217Image0014.jpg

2007_0217Image0016.jpg

Just unbraced
2007_0217Image0019.jpg

Rather large pin knot :)
2007_0217Image0021.jpg

I'll post better pics tomorrow when I can get outside.

Reactions: leon-1

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Now that is a stunning looking bow I love the look of self yew bows well done!!

Out of interest is the yew English, American, Italian or other??

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
jon r said:
:notworthy WOW! :eek: :yikes:

Now thats a bow! Truely amazing! I love it mate!

Hope you didnt let go of the bow string! :lmao:

Jon :)
I'm telling you, indoor archery is the sport of the future! :D .

Boosh

Tenderfoot
Jan 3, 2007
The New Forest
Snufkin said:
I'm telling you, indoor archery is the sport of the future! :D .

Tell me about it! :rolleyes: I've just patched up 4 holes in my walls at the end of my hallway where i was too impatient to wait for the rain to stop after making a bamboo bow! :eek:

Great bow there Snufkin, definately something special about the self-made bows.

Boosh.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Aliwren said:
Now that is a stunning looking bow I love the look of self yew bows well done!!

Out of interest is the yew English, American, Italian or other??
It's American yew. A really lovely set of billets, very high ring count which is why I was slightly miffed that it came in light. I'd have liked this one to be in the mid 60s but 56lbs it pretty reasonable.

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
What with the nice weather, I got out into the back garden this afternoon and put a few dozen arrows through the bow. She's a sweet shooter, no hand shock and nice and quiet. Reasonably fast too.

2007_0218Image0006.jpg

2007_0218Image0007.jpg

2007_0218Image0010.jpg

I'm off out to my folks this evening, I think I'll walk over there as there is some nice hazel on the way and I think I'll harvest some arrow shafts. I've never made primitive arrows yet so should be fun. I might even have a go at stone points. Nothing fancy as my knapping isn't any good but I think I could manage some mesolithic style points.

Reactions: redcollective

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
That's a really nice bow Snufkin. Well done, Yew is really nice wood to work with. I take it they are joined in the middle, what sort of joint did you use? What did you use to finish and protect the bow? And those points on the arrows, they aren't field points are they? can't quite make them out..
I really must finish those two bows now......

Snufkin

Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
jojo said:
That's a really nice bow Snufkin. Well done, Yew is really nice wood to work with. I take it they are joined in the middle, what sort of joint did you use? What did you use to finish and protect the bow? And those points on the arrows, they aren't field points are they? can't quite make them out..
I really must finish those two bows now......
It's joined with a V splice and pinned with a yew dowel, glued up with resorcinol. It's finished with several coats of danish oil and the beeswax.
The points are modbods, they are a machined point based on a bodkin. I prefer them to field points as they are easier to remove from targets. I can't recall the place I got them from. I'll do a google search and see what I can turn up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE