Yarrow insect repellent field test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think this is conflation of knowledge again.
Yarrow flowers encourage wasps and the like to visit the rich nectar. Those wasps also eat the aphids that attack crop plants. Plants near yarrow, companion planting, thrive a bit better than those further away.
It does discourage mites and fleas though, one reason it was added to strewing herbs for floors.
Some birds use it in their nests to discourage the mites that weaken their chicks too.

I haven't found it terribly effective as an anti midge or clegg agent :sigh:

It's a good wound healer though :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I think this is conflation of knowledge again.
Yarrow flowers encourage wasps and the like to visit the rich nectar. Those wasps also eat the aphids that attack crop plants. Plants near yarrow, companion planting, thrive a bit better than those further away.
It does discourage mites and fleas though, one reason it was added to strewing herbs for floors.
Some birds use it in their nests to discourage the mites that weaken their chicks too.

I haven't found it terribly effective as an anti midge or clegg agent :sigh:

It's a good wound healer though :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

I have only found yarrow localy this last year so i fancy giving it a try. Now is a good time as last weekend i was lucky to get 7 mite bites on one ankle and 3 on the other, most are still very angry! Thats what i get for playing in the woods for a weekend :)
So how is yarrow applied? prepared, i havent tried anything other than crushed plantain for bites so would love to try another remedy. I have more than my fair share of AH daily so would appreciate any advice.
Thanks.

I take horse size pills for hayfever

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's not normally applied to be a general prophylactic. Too many folks are allergic to it for that.

Off the top of my head I'd say go and buy some Autan, the latest formula, and it works :) is deet free :cool:, but if you want to try the yarrow you can buy it as an essential oil. It's blue :D and apply that, or you could brew it into a strong tea and use it as a kind of wipe on lotion with an old flannel or on strong kitchen towels like Bounty.
It can be dried and powdered and the powder dusted in among your clothing too, but check carefully, it can cause problems for those sensitive to it.

Incidentally, French Marigolds are supposed to have a similar effect on insect pests.

Be interested to hear how you get on, and be reassured that I haven't encouraged you to do something that brought you out in a rash :eek:

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE