Would you buy this gun?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......Deer, well, some folks are happy to sit around and wait. I still hunt, which means I'm stalking.....giving the quarry every possible chance other than just unluckily walking near a tree I'm lazily sitting in.......

Rarely in a tree stand (although I'd love to try that too) We make 5 or 6 drives a day and every drive is from a different stand with fresh dogs.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......We can go back and forth all day. The point is that an empty chamber will never accidentally shoot a companion. Can a full chamber make the same argument?.........

In 58 years and with dozens of hunting companions I've only even HEARD of one accident. And it was an idiot not checking what was behind his target (nothing to do with mechanical failure)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Key word there "almost" :)

That's the rub. I can't afford one anyway. The cheapest one I can find online (I haven't seen an actual one in the shops in over 15 years) is going for $2400; most are over $3000 and some near $10,000. Even my beat up Trooper is worth nearly $2000.

But how could anybody possibly own one without not shooting it!?

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just so.

A chap I knew had an authenticated Waterloo used Baker rifle. Not only did he shoot it, but he let me shoot it! Guns are meant to be shot. Hell hundred grand Purdeys are meant to be shot.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Talking about a .357, my first deer rifle as a child was a single shot Uberti 1871 Rolling Block carbine chambered in .357mag. It was light enough and small enough that a child could handle it but it definitely had enough power to take down a deer.

Uberti every so often changes the calibers their 1871 carbine is offered in and they don't offer it now in .357mag. The new ones have a rubber buttpad, but mine had an old style brass buttplate.

Here a pic of a very similar looking Uberti 1871 Carbine.

Uberti_RB_22LR_01.jpg

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE