Worst Bug Stories

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Worst Bug Stories:

A segment of a TV show last night brought back memories of a bad bug year, and the things we'd do to keep them at bay.

Summer months in the woods - bugs are always an issue. Most of the time, they are a slight and manageable nuisance. Other times, dry seasons, they are no problem at all. Once in a great while they are a threat to sanity.

The year I was 15, my younger brother and I worked all summer for a farmer, peeling pulp logs. There aren't many farmers in our area. Farming with such a short growing season, and such poor thin topsoil is a tough way to make a living. Such backwoods farming almost always includes some logging. That was where we came in. In those days, the logs, when they were delivered to the mills, had to be free of bark. To peel the 100 inch logs we were paid room, board, and 3 cents a "stick." We would use a leaf spring from a Model T Ford and strip the bark from the logs. Every day we would cut and peel 100 logs. For our efforts we made $3.00 a day.

I have a lot of good memories of that summer, in spite of the bugs. It was when I learned to use dynamite, kissed my first girl, and really learned to drive. The farmer had a 1947 jeep pickup, and I had to drive my brother and me through the forest to get to where we were cutting. That machine would truely go anywhere.

As a side note, we were also expected to shoot any timber wolves we saw. The farmer was always loosing young stock (cattle) to wolves. We carrried an old .30-30 Winchester carbine with us. Unfortunately, the speed of the bullet was too slow, and the wolf would jump as soon as he saw the muzzle flash when we fired. We just weren't doing too good hitting wolves. One day, the farmer came home with a 6 mm Remington, a gun with a high muzzle velocity. Wolves couldn't jump that fast.

As to bugs... Every ten years we would have an inundation of army worms. These catapillers would eat all leaves. In a bad year, the decidous trees would be completely denuded. The advent of a army worm population peak brought a corresponding influx of black flies. About the third year after an army worm infestation, the black fly population peaks and they can get to be a nuisance. The year I turned 15 was one such year, and the worst I remember.

When bugs are bad there are certain places you stay away from. Low areas and deep woods are eschewed in favor of high country and lakes large enough to have a good breeze. When you are logging, you have no choice. Deep woods and low places are where the trees are.

When we were in the woods, the flies were so prevelant we were apt to loose things like the axe, our peeliing irons, our lunch, the chainsaw, and worst of all, the citronella, or bug dope. If we set them down for a minute, the flies camoflauged everything to the point where you couldn't make out the shape of ordinary objects. We'd have to move over the ground waving our hands to scare up the bugs in hope of finding our missing belongings.

We worked six days a week. On Sundays, after services at the little country church, we would fish out of the canoe on the St. Louis River. The flies were so bad the deer would be out in the river with only their noses sticking out of the water. Sometimes we'd count 100 deer noses on our stretch of the river.

Working in the hot humid weather was bad enough, but the flies made it truely miserable. We used citronella, but would sweat it off in only a few minutes. The farmer, a thrifty soul, would allow us one bottle of citronella a week. We could easily have used it up in a day.

The thing I saw on TV that jogged my memory, was a method of keeping bugs out of your eyes. If you were working, you could put up with the bites, if the flies would just stay away from your eyes. They never would. Tom Angwassig, an old Ojibwe, came by our cutting site one day. He was wearing a wreath of jackpine twigs fastened around his head with a bandanna. We asked him why, and he said it kept the bugs out of your eyes. Tom fixed us up with head bands from strips of canvas torn from an old tarp, laced the head bands with jackpine boughs and pronounced us proper jackpine savages. The pine needles hanging in front of our eyes affected our vision somewhat, but not as much as the bugs had.

The pine boughs were a nuisance, We'd end up with sap in our hair, but it was still preferable to bugs in our eyes. From that day on, for the rest of the summer, the first thing we did, on reaching the logging site, was to arrange our pine bough bonnets.

PG

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
I haven't really experienced something that bad.

In the army I had some quite bad experiences with moskitos (it is bad in Southern Norway, but far worse in the north).

About flies, I once built a earthlodge with a pal. In that area it was packed with flies and it was a pain to work there. The spot lay quite far away from our farm, but my father could see us coming down from the mountain with a nearly black swarm around our heads.

Torjus Gaaren

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
As a youngun, my house was a couple of hundred yards from a coastal heathland, cliffs, sea, sand dune [I suppose that's why I've always been a seadog]. we used to laugh at tourists coming down the paths off the headland, waving bracken fronds to keep the flies away, not knowing that it just attracted more.
Us local youngsters [and our visiting mates] would cut a length of elderberry, crush the leaves somewhat and twist the bough into a garland. Smelt like cats p*** but kept the flies off. Still use the method whenever I go into an 'active' area. But by and large in the UK the only nasties that have to be avoided are the legendary scottish midge........

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I think my worst story would be about bees.

First off I should say I was stung by a wasp whilst in my cradle as a baby and to this day I have an irrational fear of wasps and a nervousness about bees too.

But this story was some years back when I was on exercise with the territorial army.

We were setting an ambush overlooking a dead letter box in a cutting that we knew was due to be visited by the "enemy"

At about the time we were expecting the pick up, our observers inform us that the enemy is approaching from behind our line.

Our NCO decides to move our position to the other side of the cutting and we had to settle in very quickly.

I set myself in nicely by the side of a big fallen log and shuffle down into the undergrowth jostling the log slightly as I do so.

The bump on the log disturbs what appears to be a large bees nest in the log. Bees start swarming out of the log and all over the place just as the forward soldier of the enemy patrol steps into the cutting.

They are very cautious so it seems like an eternity before the rest of the patrol emerges and enters the ambush zone. By now I'm covered with bees in what I can only describe as my worst nightmare. Then the firing starts. :AR15firin :AR15firin :AR15firin

Needless to say I was the only one not to pull a trigger.

Remarkably I got away after the firefight without a single sting, but I never dived into cover again without giving it a good look over first.

soup_monger

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 30, 2005
EDINBURGH AND PERTH
The thing I have found after many years of experimenting with the Scottish midge is to stay as dirty as possible.
I have tried DEET and I have tried other things that were almost painful on the skin I even tried befriending the midge to try and work out a compromise, but, they just kept swarming.
If you leave the natural oils on your skin then the midges don't seem to like it.
Wash your hands or face in detergent and they will have a feast on you.
I usually go on my trips alone these days. :D

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
soup_monger said:
The thing I have found after many years of experimenting with the Scottish midge is to stay as dirty as possible.
I have tried DEET and I have tried other things that were almost painful on the skin I even tried befriending the midge to try and work out a compromise, but, they just kept swarming.
If you leave the natural oils on your skin then the midges don't seem to like it.
Wash your hands or face in detergent and they will have a feast on you.
I usually go on my trips alone these days. :D

Something to that, though sweat attracts mosquitoes. Some of the older Ojibwes where I grew up (my grandfather included) would smear themselves with bear oil, when the bugs were particularly bad.

Another tip: Wear light colors, Dark colors attract more mosquitoes (not sure about midges).

PG

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Best thing I've found for midges is bog myrtle... If I'm camping during midge season, I can usually be seen during the "midge hour" with my head completely wrapped in a shemag (it's amazing how small an eyeslit you can get away with) with sprigs of bog myrtle sticking out of it.

Nothing quite as bad as Pierre's horror story up top, but the persistence of the midge combined with her tiny size and huge numbers can drive you nuts. For some reason, it's always worse being bitten by something you can hardly see...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Clegs, definitely himself is Lord of the Flies.
I have horrible a reaction to cleg bites I can be ill for days after a bad attack, and the wound can last for weeks before it heals properly too.

If you boil your shemagh in a bog myrtle dyebath the smell of the myrtle remains in the cloth and it helps deter midgies...it's quite a good, soft green colour and used to be widely used to dye worsted yarn for tartan :rolleyes: :D

Cheers,
Toddy

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
As with anyone who has spent their time in the outdoors, I've had plenty of times when I've been plagued by midges, gnats, ants and a host of other assorted flying/crawling biting stinging thingies. I think the most memorable instance for me though was on a trip to Flamingo in the Everglades National Park. We had a cabin booked for a couple of nights stay there, and drove through Florida dressed for the climate in shorts and tee shirts. We had realised that DEET would be an almost vital item whilst there but had not applied any prior to arrival. The DEET sat in my day bag, in the boot of the car ready for use "when I need it"...
I parked the car outside the lodge and opened the door, put one leg out and saw it get literally covered in mosquitos before I could even swing the other leg out of the car. It was as if someone had told all the mossies that fresh meat was arriving and to be in the car park at 4pm for a feast *LOL*
I don't think I have ever moved between the driving seat and the boot of a car (to get the DEET out) so fast in all my life as I did that afternoon. If someone had offered me a shower of pure DEET for $20, I'd have been in there just as fast.
Once into the reception area of the main lodge we exclaimed at the apparent plague of mosssies only to be told "You wouldn't want to be here when there's lots of them, this is nothing near as bad as it'll be later in the year".
I will NOT be going there in August! ;)

A few years ago I was out with a friend who sat on the riverbank to fish only to leap up a minute later and disappear into the river. He had managed to plug the entrance of an underground wasps nest with his backside as he sat down. It seems that the residents took exception to this and warmed his buttock to show their displeasure. He lifted his bum up pretty smartly, only to be surrounded by wasps as they poured from the nest. Primal instinct took over and he took a header into the water rather than discuss that matter with the wasps. Sitting 15 yards or so upstream of him, I was in fits of laughter. He got his revenge when I sat on the bank of the same river a few weeks later only to find that I was on top of a nest of very angry ants. By the time I realised what had happened they had managed to infiltrate everything I was wearing so it all had to come off to get rid of the little sods. "Ants in your pants" is a funny phrase until it happens to you. :lmao:

nishishinandy

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 19, 2005
Belfast northern ireland
Two years ago i was on a canoe trip in canada and the black flies were so bad that any patch of exposed skin would be covered. We had to duck take our clothes closed. So much so that swellin began and i rolled over to see not my tent mate but ssum1 who looked like fat bas#*@d from austin powers.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
gregorach said:
Best thing I've found for midges is bog myrtle... If I'm camping during midge season, I can usually be seen during the "midge hour" with my head completely wrapped in a shemag (it's amazing how small an eyeslit you can get away with) with sprigs of bog myrtle sticking out of it.

I discovered last time I camped with my wife - she gets bites and I stay bite free. The magic doesn't work when she's not in the tent with me. Path of least resistance for the midge I reckon. Does anyone else know any midge magnets?

Had a mate years ago who got a tick on the possibles pouch, so to speak. That can't have been funny. :eek:

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Whenever I hear the word "midge," I wonder just what they are. We have a number of bug pests in Minnesota, among them, black flies, sand flies (which I've heard referred to as midges), mosquitoes (of course) and "no-see-ums."

Toddy says she objects being bit by something she can't see, so I've wondered if your midges are similar to our "no-see-ums."

Moving on, I checked a couple of websites, one of which lists no-see-ums as family Ceratopogonidae.

http://pelotes.jea.com/AnimalFact/Arthropod/NOSEEUM.htm

Another site lists them as Order: Diptera, Family: Chironomidae, Species: Culicoides guttipenis, and says, "No-See-Ums are also known as Biting Midges, Punkies, or Sand Flies.

http://www.griffin.peachnet.edu/ga/cobb/Horticulture/Factsheets/noseeums/noseeums.htm

A third site says, "... sand fleas are also known as no-see-ums and gnats."

http://beaufortusa.com/sandflea.htm

The first site says, "Most no-see-ums never fly more than 350 feet from their breeding area, so if they’re bothering you, you might be able to get away from them by moving a few yards."

Looking up Britain's biting midges, I find: "Order: Diptera, Family: Ceratopogonidae... tiny biting midges..." at this site:

http://www.belmont.edu/Science/Biology/cienews/Wirth.html

Well, that agrees with one of the above sites on no-see-ums.

The next site however differentiates between midges and gnats and says of midges, " Over 120 species in North America, 200 in Australia and 36 in Great Britain."

http://naturalaquariums.com/inverts/flies.html

Nasty little buggers - whatever you call them.

PG

ssj

Forager
Jan 7, 2004
Colorado, USA
Longstrider-

I've been to Flamingo :cussing: Brutal!

I was working in Houston, Texas about three years ago. I was staying in a temporary apartment on the third floor. After the work day I took a shower, dried off, and slipped on a pair of shorts that had been laying on the floor. Mistake! Fire ants had infested the shorts and were biting me in all the wrong places. I got those shorts off in a hurry.

I lived in a tent in Arkansas for about three months in the early 1970's. The ticks were so bad that when you sat down you could see them coming for you. One night I picked more than 20 off me while I was attempting to sleep. :yuck:

Steve

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
The Highland Biting Midge is "Culicoides Impunctatus", and there's quite a good profile of this tiny but ferocious carnivore here. I'm not sure how they compare to other Culicoides species...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE