Worms?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
plain old earthworms have hairs that they use as legs, there is a right end and a wrong end to start eating them , no major hassle if you get it wrong they just catch in your throat a little

i guess frying would take care of the hairs though boiling doesnt

to catch them just tramp backwards and forwards across a picece of grass they come to the surface , if you ever stood on the sidelines at a football or rugby match and looked down you would know this :) all the tramping feet up and down the lines brings them up by the dozen

if you reallly really want to catch them in bulk , spread a plastic sheet out on a plot and lift it whenever you need fresh ones, this takes time as the grass and plant life needs to die back

moles, moles love worms, if you see the molehils it is a good spot for earthworms

Tant

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have dissected tons of fresh earthworms over the years. You often find them filled with nematode parasites. Cooking them first probably ain't a bad idea.

They are dirt eaters (i.e., deposit and detritus feeders) so their digestive tract will be filled with grit as mentioned. You can keep them in water (no, they don't drown) and maybe after a couple days, their digestive tracts will be empty, I dunno.

This should help get you on to the path of culinary earthworm delights. :D

earthworm recipes

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
ive had em too,not that much to tell about it,biggest mental bump was putting the first one in my mouth,chew and swallow.

cant say id eat em for their great taste but since i had em before i could do so again with way less squemish behaviour.

Porc

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I can't belive you guys are talking about cooking worms...... :rolleyes:
....any true klingon knows Gagh is served live.
Kahplah!

Originally Posted by Tantalus
plain old earthworms have hairs that they use as legs, there is a right end and a wrong end to start eating them , no major hassle if you get it wrong they just catch in your throat a little
That's a handy bit of earthworm etiquette, and left nicely ambiguous too. :) Next worm I see I must remember to give it a stroke.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
The little hairs are only on the ventral surface. Stroke gently and you will feel them. :) They are actually made of chitin, the same stuff the exoskeleton of arthropods is made of. :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
The method I heard was to place them on a hot stone by the fire so that they excrete all the earth, then, when they have dried out, crumble them into whatever you are cooking just like an oxo cube!! I have yet to try this, and I won't be trying it for a while, as there aren't many worms here in Iraq, unless they look like the ones from the film Dune, and in that case, I'm not eating!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE