Woodlore selling knife blades

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

My way of doing things was a little different to the professionals:D. This is the first Scandi that I had made so I was a little nervous about it and I also wanted the easiest method of construction that I could get, my choice was probably wrong to start on something like this (a bit ambitious:D).

Firstly I fitted the blade and the Ferrule together, I used needle files to get the hole as close to the exact diameter/size of the tang as I could and then used a homemade knife vice to slide it into postion on the tang using a little epoxy just to hold it where I wanted it.
p1010087small6uk.jpg

I had already cut and drilled each of the pieces of horn and wood along with the nickel silver spacers so they fitted within 2mm of where I wanted them on the tang (as dave said a lot of use of needle files to get them as close to exact as I could).

p1010088small4az.jpg

I then epoxied the holes in the individual peices, between each layer and the tang of the blade itself. Then I slid the seperate peices into place and compressed them using the vice.

p1010089small2vm.jpg

Leave to set for 14 hours or so whilst you get on with something else (an evening out with friends and a good nights sleep). In the morning I took it out and went to work on shaping this.

p1010092small0cq.jpg

So I clamped the blade in a multi position vice and went to work with files (not a rasp) and then Sand paper working from 80 Grit upwards.

p1010094small2wc.jpg

Untill I ended up with a reasonable shape (I work by eye and feel on things like this).

p1010095small0pc.jpg

At this stage I move through the grits upto 2500 Grit wet 'n' dry (inbetween each grit I give a wipe down with a spirit) before polishing it using a polishing mop with abramax grey and then nothing fitted to a drill. Then it has plenty of coats of Tung oil. Now the knife is pretty much finished I make a sheath specifically for it (I am not overly happy with this one and am thinking about making another).

p1010099small4zc.jpg

I have got power tools here as you can see, but the only one that got used on this was the drill. It is a lot easier to work the handle like this as it gives you time (hence is more forgiving to mistakes). Basically the construction of all scandi's work pretty much the same, but there will be minor variations in the way that each maker makes them and in the materials used. Some like using shellac as it has properties that epoxy hasn't got, for me though epoxy is more available so that is what I use.:)

leon-1

A vey easy thing to make that makes life a lot easier when making one of these.

All it is is three peices of 01 tool steel 0.5cm thick and about 12.5cm long, 4 x 10mm threaded bolts, a number of locking nuts and some butterfly nuts. Obviously the wood is there to protect the blade and handle (a dense hard wood for the blade to stick into and pine for the other bits so they have give in them).:)

F

fastbreak

leon-1 said:
A vey easy thing to make that makes life a lot easier when making one of these.

All it is is three peices of 01 tool steel 0.5cm thick and about 12.5cm long, 4 x 10mm threaded bolts, a number of locking nuts and some butterfly nuts. Obviously the wood is there to protect the blade and handle (a dense hard wood for the blade to stick into and pine for the other bits so they have give in them).:)

Mine is like this:

pic7.jpg

Very effective.

Have fun

Mike

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
mojofilter said:
Thats right, mine came with quite a big secondary bevel, which I ground back and then very lightly convexed the bevels.

mojo - do you think you could have gotten away with convexing from the start or would the final angel have been too steep?

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just had a quick peek on the woodlore site and if the Bahco Laplander is anything to go by they charge like a wounded bull :eek:

30 quid?

Having a laugh there I think.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE