Woodlore knife - again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
While browsing on Britishblades I came across a post that mentioned Alan Wood had made about 1500 Woodlore knives.

If this is the case, it seems rather a lot? And if you add in all the people with WS versions, and similar knives from Stewart Marsh, Bearclaw, Bison etc etc, I can't help feeling that bushcraft must be a tremendously popular hobby.

So why do I have to explain it to folk who ask me what I did at the weeekend?????!!!

M

Millbilly

:D :D :D :D :D

I know what you mean, There must be a hell of a lot of practical knives out there sitting in drawers, or on shelves looking pretty!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
You forgot Paul Baker! I've got a very nice knife of his, and I'm pretty sure he's around here somewhere too... ;)

Even if there are 20,000 "bushcraft" knives out there, that's still a very small proportion of the population.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Paul Baker makes excellent knives

Here's a Damascus Bushman he made for me. :D

Bushman4.jpg

Bushmanlightblade2.jpg

Paul's website is HERE

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
Marts said:
Paul Baker makes excellent knives

Here's a Damascus Bushman he made for me. :D

Paul's website is HERE

I tend to avoid the posts on knives as it's all double dutch to me - all I have is a Mora and a SAK - but please can we have a smiley for drooling? That is bootiful!

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
I'm not surprised Alan wood has made 1500 Woodlores, he been making knives full time for 17 years and as a full time maker, you need to make and sell 400-600 knives a year if you make £50 profit on each one to make a living.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
That's true - so he's probably made less than ten grand in total all the time he's been making the woodlore. Kind of puts it into perspective. Knife makers aint millionaires.

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
Marts said:
That's true - so he's probably made less than ten grand in total all the time he's been making the woodlore. Kind of puts it into perspective. Knife makers aint millionaires.

Sorry to butt in but let's say he only makes 50 quid a knife (and I bet he makes more than that) then 50 X 1500 = 75,000. Or am I missing something? Along with all the other stuff he must be making....I'm sure he's not short of a bob or two!

Of course, I'm not saying that isn't 100% fair. At least the man can make a decent living from using a great talent to produce something real, useful and certainly not ugly...

Does anyone know how long it would actually take for the Woolore knife to be made?

That Paul Baker knife is lovely by the way!

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
AlexRowan said:
Sorry to butt in but let's say he only makes 50 quid a knife (and I bet he makes more than that) then 50 X 1500 = 75,000. Or am I missing something? Along with all the other stuff he must be making....I'm sure he's not short of a bob or two!

Of course, I'm not saying that isn't 100% fair. At least the man can make a decent living from using a great talent to produce something real, useful and certainly not ugly...

Does anyone know how long it would actually take for the Woolore knife to be made?

That Paul Baker knife is lovely by the way!

You're right. I'm wrong - I allowed a bit more than £50 per knife and then forgot to carry an extra zero to the total :rolleyes: Now I feel like my wife! (When you ask her to work out a maths sum she starts singing Madonna songs in her head - seriously!)

AlexRowan

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
Somerset
Marts said:
You're right. I'm wrong - I allowed a bit more than £50 per knife and then forgot to carry an extra zero to the total :rolleyes: Now I feel like my wife! (When you ask her to work out a maths sum she starts singing Madonna songs in her head - seriously!)

HAHAHAH....sorry I didn't mean to be so "correcting". I'm sure they make an absolute killing on those woodlore knives!

Porcupine

Forager
Aug 24, 2005
Leek,The Netherlands
food for thought,a professional knifemaker needed 17 years to earn 75000 ...

that comes down to less then 5k a year when you divide it up,think my wife may be happy i aint a profesional knifemaker :D

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
Don't forget to make a knife to a standard someone will buy means a lot of practice and knives that get scraped before they see the light of day. Knifemaking is a tough business if you are full time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE