"Woodcraft" br Nessmuk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I just found the above title listed on Amazon for£3.79 so I ordered a copy.
Apparently written in the 20's by an America wilderness writer.

Dave

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Excellent read and so un-pc as to be enlightening!

Shows you what the worlds already come too.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
"Canoeing the Adirondacks with Nessmuk: The Adirondack Letters of George Washington Sears" is a good follow-up read, too. Nessmuk has an almost mythic status in the US, but if you're after solid outdoors advice from a similar period you're better off with Horace Kephart's "Camping & Woodcraft."

Incidentally, if it's the Dover edition of Nessmuk you are getting then you ought to know that it is abridged. However, it's the only one currently in print, and I have no idea how much has been edited. Unfortunately original copies are rare and fairly expensive (whereas most contemporary writings to Nessmuk are reasonably priced - check Abebooks.com) and I haven't added one to the library just yet.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
It's a good read. He laments the fact that the wilderness was becoming less wild. I note he advocates carrying a sheath knife (you can get them made to his pattern I think) and a folding knife.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Yup, Nessmuk cut quite a figure as a popular writer of the outdoors. And he definitely has his own ways of doing things. Truth is I don't think either Nessmuk or Kephart really traveled extensively on foot as some great explorers. For instance, neither traveled anywhere near as far on foot and with as little gear over enormous landscapes as John Muir. Yet they were definitely great outdoorsmen and both excellent writers. The fact that their books are still in print is a great testament to that. And great books they are! I sent several out this year as Christmas presents.

Of course, you can't talk about Nessmuk without mentioning his cutlery and his ultralight canoes.

His knives and small axe are legendary amoung Nessmuk fans:
nessmukknivesoriginal1.jpg

His canoes built by Rushton were as light as a feather:

Rushton_Nessmuk2.jpg

Here's a bit of a more modern version of his cutlery. An Ablett, Reeves, and Dozier.

nessmuktriomodern1.jpg

And a Bell Bucktail, named after Nessmuk's Bucktail originally built by Rushton.

bucktail1.jpg

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
there's a lot more cold info in kepharts book. he even quotes nessmuk in places, kephart wrote a fair bit later. but nessmuk is just such an inspiration :cool:

cheers, and.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Great responses fellas!

I ordered Kephart & Kochanski too - moment of madness, or was it boredom at work! :-D

Hoodoo,

You've got way too many nice toys! I thinkI'd best make my way out there and confiscate them from you! Seriously great kit. Enjoy it.

Dave

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Mors Kochanski's book is a good one, and strong on safety. (Lots of pics on how NOT to do it, showing the axe on a trajectory involving your head, with skull and crossbones motif for added emphasis!)

And written with the confidence of a man who's been there and done that. I like the intro where he says (somebody tell me the exact quote please) that there is no reason why a man cannot live comfortably in the northern forests with just an axe a knife and a pot. And then he adds that you might just about manage without them!

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I've been reading both books over the last week and they are very good! Nessmuk gives a good broad overview, whilst kepharts is great for the specifics.

The section where Nessmuk describes a couple of young men on a fishing camp with an old woodsman has some wonderfully evocative writing.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
wildwood wisdom is a good one, i like the trick on how to tell the temperature by listening to crickets, and how to hitch a mule

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Nessmuk certainly is a great read- I agree entirely about the Old Bacwoodsman and young men story, a fantastic narration :-D , however I can't find a supplier for Horace Kephart's "Camping & Woodcraft" in the UK, if anyone knows where I can get a copy please let me know. Another book, if you have'nt already got it is Ernest Thompson Seton's "Two Little Savages". I have not read any of his (many) other books, again if anyone has what were your opinions?

Blue Sky, Jim.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I got my copy of Kephart from Amazon.co.uk

Both Kephart and Nessmuk have become firm favourites, along with Kochanski and of course Ray Mears.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE