Wood identification?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks
In my garden, we had a treestump. Originally I thought it was just a post, but it still had bark and we couldn't think why the post would be there anyway, so I'm assuming it was a tree cut off about 1.5 metres above the ground for whatever reason.
Anyway, it bugs me to death every time I mow the lawn, so I whipped out my new folding saw and axe and cut the sucker down... and was quite shocked at just how hard the wood was.
Anyway, heres a pic:
wood.jpg

Sorry for the bad quality... it's a bit more orangey-brown than in that pic.
The bark is a very dark brown and pretty thin, it flaked quite a bit when I scraped some off, though it has been dead for years at least.
Anyway, I'd just like to know what kind of wood it is, like I say, it's pretty hard so I'm hoping to make some knife handles out of it when it's dried out and maybe a chopping board... and of course a few spoons :rolleyes:
Cheers folks!
Pete

Floyd Soul

Forager
Jul 31, 2006
The woods, Ireland.
Its very hard to tell from the picture! Especially because it's dead theres no foliage to go on.

Chances are its a hardwood being that you say its hard. A softwood when dead, you'd kick the stump over with your bare shoe!

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
if it's in a normal garden setting, I'd go for a fruit wood something like Apricot, plum, cherry, or pear (they are all from the same familiy of woods: Rosacea.) on the other hand it might be apple or the like. What does (did) it smell like when cut

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Very hard to tell from the pic. The description of the bark could point to hawthorn.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Right, well, I don't have a clue what the leaves looked like sadly, like I say, I thought it was a post until yesterday :rolleyes:

And the smell! I forgot to mention that. I really can't quite put my finger on it, though I do have a blocked nose. It smells almost bitter, if that makes any sense, like it's something citrus-y :confused: Although it seems to smell different every time I smell it. Kinda pear-y now. Maybe I'm just imagining it :confused:

Looks like there was a branch pretty near the ground at one point, and another a couple feet up, but they're scarred over now. Quite thick, in the region of 5-8cm.

And also, if it helps, the log is about 5-6 inches in diameter.
Cheers folks ;)
Pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE