Winter Wander

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
Went for a walk up my favourite forest yestarday and brought along the lady for company.
Was a little snow on the ground but just a couple of inches, i've been looking for a nice new spot for hammock and maybe bivi and now i've found it. The woods are mostly pine but theres some nice open areas too. The land is Forestry commission owned but we're still allowed fires. Have camped in this forest many times now but can't wait to try out this new find.

My Lovely buscrafting wife only smiling til she felt the cold.
63970091ci0.jpg

The view from where the hammock will hang, looking across to Bennachie.
47321882kn7.jpg

Getting a bit of heat and a snack.
57564868od5.jpg

On the public trail through the forest.
37148724jp3.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice piccies Clark - looks like you`ve found a good spot there

Good to see you`ve got your good lady carrying the big pack.

Rich

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
I did quite well with finding her really, she's even got a medal for shooting so i'll have to watch out for her. She just bought me a new bivi bag aswell so can't complain really.
That spot in the photos is really nice, only 20 mins or so from Aberdeen and yet still pretty much never used by anyone else. Only see people walking dogs on the trail and they never seem to explore the woods surrounding them so always get all the forest and surrounds to ourselves.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Aye, it looks like a great spot indeed- fantastic view to our wee Ben.... That said, I must be a real feartie as I am just a little bit terrified of FC plantations- too dark and closed in... give me the Linn of Dee / Derry Lodge and good old Caledonian Pine forest anyday I'm afraid! :eek: :)

KP

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
You from Aberdeen itself or surrounding? I'm in Garthdee and go out wandering or camping on FC land all the time.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
Hi Clark.

Yeah, live near Woodend Hospital. Although have done a reasonable amount of camping, I am still new to Bushcraft as it were. Have set up a tarp & bivi once and although it rained heavily, I got quite a good sleep, certainly no worse than in a tent, and am really keen to do more. Will post some pics at some point when I've worked out how :D

I am hoping to pop over to the west coast some time soon (pre midges) with my new Bison Tundra 4 to sleep by the shore and try and harvest some hand caught shell fish and drink whisky!

KP

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
I would say i'm new to bushcraft aswell, have been camping for years but now trying to do more than just walk about the woods and sit around the fire. If you ever fancy a trip locally or something then give me a shout or something. I also know a nice spot down past stonehaven that's good for camping in bivi or tent right by the sea. I'll try and post a pic just now.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
That site looks really good... I'll definitely give you a shout sometime soon, we can get together and swap ideas and stuff... we could even organise a local meet for others, say for the early summer or something..

KP

Clark

Forager
Jul 18, 2007
Aberdeen
Yeah we should try and arrange something. You'd be surprised how open some of the FC forests are once you walk through the outer parts, i mainly go to Durris opposite the mast and have a few nice areas in those woods that are good for hammock and quite open. The spot beside stonehaven is really only good in the summer with the long daylight hours and you can do a spot of fishing aswell of the rocks for mackerel and cod an plenty of life in the rockpools.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE