Wildfowling?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Got the obligatory flatcap, and some yellow beretta shooting glasses. :cool: Im applying for my shotgun certificate. [Fingers crossed]

Im planning on joining a wildfowling club, maybe on the Dee, or Humber, or Solway. I've been invited to the Solway next season, if all goes according to plan with the SGC. Been talking to some clubs.

Are there any wildfowlers on BCUK?

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I haven't been bird hunting in years. I used to quite a bit though, especially for quail, a bit less for doves. Would love to get back into it as well as try some duck hunting and turkey hunting.

I really, really miss hunting with a good bird dog. My particular favorite was the GSP.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thats partly why It appeals Santaman. Somethign to do with the dog. What do you miss about it?
Been training the retriever, and hes got a bit of drakeshead in him, a breed which was bred for duck/goose hunting on the Dee originally.
Over here the waterfowling is mainly salt marsh estuary, where-as I think in the states its more flooded cornfields, and timberline?
The GSP would be a bit cold on an estuary I reckon?
This gives you a good idea of the enviroment:

[video=youtube;7aNnuPuW4o0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aNnuPuW4o0[/video]

Is that a chesapeake bay retriever hes got there?

I've been reading up on the wildfowl identification books, and even been driving the local pond nuts using the widgeon and mallard calls.

Wondering if its a pastime any else enjoys? i like the idea of getting out, with just the dog, setting up a blind, and occasionally bagging a nice big goose to roast

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Good video. Thanks for sharing. I can't be sure but I think you're right, it's a Chessie.

I liked the GSP because as I said, I primarily hunted upland birds (quail and doves) For quail, a pointing breed was essential and with doves, there was even less likelihood of a water retrieve. I still WANT to get more involved with waterfowl hunting. But yes, with waterfowl such as ducks or geese, you'd definitely do better with a strong swimming retriever of some sort. Especially in a colder climate.

What do I miss about it? Partly the time I spent doing it with my dad when I was a kid and watching the dogs work for him. I started out just following him as soon as I could walk and keep up with him. I inadvertantly taught the the dogs to have a soft mouth on the retrieve (a very desirable trait) by playing fetch with them using green pine combs as the fetching dummy when I was little.

You just build a bond with the dog as you work together as a team. I've been on bigger bird hunts with several hunters and dogs and it's always a pleasure to watch a good dong hunt and point and retrieve, but nothing compares to the bond between you and YOUR dog. Especially if you've reared and trained him/her yourself.

I strongly urge you to follow through with your ambitions. You won't be disapointed.

By the way, both GSPs AND Chessies have a reputation for being a bit independent to the extent of being hard headed. I can vouch for the GSPs having earned that reputation. That's also one of the reasons they're so good at what they were born to do.

Last edited:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I've always fancied wildfowling and I believe there are a couple of clubs on the Bristol Channel near where I live.

I have and have had GSP's they are a great all round dog and come equipped with webbed paws and a water resistant coat for swimming, if its a bit cold there are now some great neoprene jacket for dogs for wildfowling even in "Realtree" :)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE