Wilderness Survival Skills Wilderness Awakening course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
(Shamelessly cut and pasted from another forum!)

I recently had the good fortune to win, in a raffle, a place on Wilderness Survival Skills' Wilderness Awakening course in North Devon. I already had what I consider to be a fairly strong base of skills in Bushcraft and survival but I found throughout the week that I was continually learning new things.

The drive down from Barnsley was the first test, it's a fairly long haul but the site was pristine and so quiet, with the sounds of the birds only being broken now and then by a chainsaw or the odd piece of farm machinery that the journey was well worth it. Upon meeting Joe and Glenn and awaiting the arrival of the other course members, we had a safety briefing and then carted our gear down to the piece of woodland that would be our home for the next five days.

Dinner on the first night was a simple but tasty sausage casserole that Antony had been making whilst we were moving down, and this really was an indicator of how good the food was going to be for the week. Each night we seemed to have another gourmet menu on offer such as pigeon pittas and spanish omelettes! We were never short of food although Joe said that as the days went by we were, as a group, eating less and less. Maybe it was because of the heat, the weather was absolutley fantastic for pretty much the whole week.

We collected fire wood on the first night, plenty to keep the main fire going where a massive kettle was permanently perched so that we could brew up whenever we felt like it. There was always a pack of biscuits squirreled away somewhere for a bit of dunking too, chocolate hob nobs seemed to be a favourite due to the high energy chocolate and the slow energy release of the oats (if you like!). Bashas were put up and we had a moment round the fire where we discussed what we wanted to get out of the week, everybody had different aspirations.

The next morning we carried out a sit spot exercise. I had no idea quite how much I would learn from just sitting, but I gave it a go. It became more apparent at the end of the week, but I'll come back to that. After safety briefings on knives and saws, we were let loose on the woodland to make a simple pot hanger and tea stick. We also started construction of our debris shelters which would be our homes for the remainder of the week should we choose to sleep in them. This choosing to do something is a great thing that the guys allow on their courses, the opt out clause is there for anybody who wishes to not do a certain thing such as gutting fish or prepping rabbits just after having their first field expedient shower of the week! There is no shame in opting out of anything and nobody is put under any pressure to give something a try if they don't want to. Saying that, pretty much everybody did a bit of everything and everybody prepped an animal of some sort for food.

After further instruction on making withies and fire lighting techniques, we were set off to make our own fires with wood we collected, tinder bundles we had made and embers we made from charcloth and traditional flint and steels. Everybody succeeded, a testament to the instruction from the guys. We were tasked with collecting the wood to make our own bow drill sets after being shown various sets made by the instructors, and we were all to try and make fire with our bow drill sets at the end of the week. The option was there to use a second person for a tandem effort, but the hope was that everybody would achieve an ember by themselves.

Throughout the week various other subjects were covered in great detail and as an ex-Serviceman myself who used to run courses on military subjects, I could see that a lot of effort had gone in to the models and training aids and that the guys really knew their subject matter well. Some of the subjects we covered were trapping and snaring and the legalities of the traps used, water collection and purification, wild food foraging, weapons for hunting in the bush (such as catapults, throwing sticks, bows and atlatls), cordage making, spoon carving which teaches you safe carving techniques and much, much more. Often things would crop up that weren't strictly on the syllabus for this course and yet the instructors were more then happy to discuss and explain things. After my early success with the bow drill (I have done it in the past) I was tasked with mastering the hand drill for my final test and had one on one tuition with Antony and the use of his own hand drill sets. This was not on the syllabus at all but highlights the flexibility of the instructors and also their willingness to share knowledge and teach new skills to people.

After working on the group shelters throughout the week, just finishing off bits here and there and adding more thatch, we finally had homes to be proud of. I had slept in a poor effort of a debris shelter a number of years ago and even though it was poorly made I was incredibly warm. The chance to make a group shelter, and to have first hand experience of people that had made them before on hand to aid us was brilliant. The main structure went up quickly, the thatching was a bit slower but we got there in the end. To go to sleep with a small fire in the middle of the shelter was an experience I had longed for, it really was back to basics stuff.

Eventually, after lots of instruction, test day came. This is a series of tests to see how much knowledge has been retained and is a confirmation more than a test. There is no pass and fail here, just do the best you can but I think some people were surprised how well they did at certain things. A plant ID stand, an awareness stand where you have to spot objects on a trail and the fire bow test all makes for a pretty good assessment of how well you have done throughout the week although I think most people already knew what they had achieved.

The final sit spot was definitely an eye opener though, even though I think I saw more animals on my first sit spot at the start of the week. A squirrel had climbed a tree a few metres away and I had seen rooks and livestock in the fields across the stream I was sat beside, but after seeing another course member wandering on the other side of the stream I joined him and we watched a trio of buzzards flying around. I could not sit still by the stream, I constantly felt like I should be doing something but I didn't realise that until the end of the week. The last sit spot highlighted this as I sat in the same place for half an hour watching the world go by. At this point, I had re-tuned myself into the wilderness and away from the hectic run around attitude of society today. It was strange, but I could feel myself in a better frame of mind for being in the woods that week, I was stress free and had very few worries at all as life had become much simpler.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
As the course ended I had the option to go up to Salisbury to the other site used by WSS for a Primitive Tools course with John Lord. I did a few hours under the careful eye of John and his son Will last year in Merthyr Mawr so jumped at the chance. We drove to Salisbury and I gave Joe a hand setting the basic camp up for the next day and the start of the next course. As Joe got the parachute up, I dug the John and put the kitchen tarpaulin up. We had it cracked in no time and took kit back to Joes' place for cleaning and resupply before getting back on site for the next course.

With a different course came a different group dynamic, there were fewer people on the Primitive Tools course and they were different characters to what were on the course the week before but we all seemed to get on just fine so there weren't any problems. We helped John move his rocks about and all of his rock bashing gear and then sat tight as John made the most marvellous flint hand axe. I saw him do this last year in Merthyr Mawr but it was still amazing watching him split the large nodule into useful pieces and then fashion the piece into a work of art. His technique is so precise, something I was soon to learn would take years of practise!

So, we each grabbed a lump of flint that our eyes thought to be adequate for making a hand axe, we picked up a hammer stone each and proceeded to make sand! You think you understand flint knapping, and then you try it and realise you understand nothing! Fortunately, John was on hand to help us along our way and we all fashioned a hand axe, or something resembling one at least! Val, Johns' wife, was on hand to cast her critical eye over our knapping and also to give advice on what to do next if John was tied up with another student. Vals' sense of humour is just what you need when living in the woods, she made me laugh more than a few times!

Again, the food was spot on and Joe had brought loads of stuff to aid us in hafting the stone artefacts we created. As well as bringing rawhide that he sent us all home with a chunk of for bindings, he brought goose wings full of feathers for flights, there was some resin doing the rounds for gluing and some sinew for bindings. John also had some linen threads for laying up into cordage, I was surprised at how strong it was.

Unfortunately, the weather turned against us. The beautiful blue skies of Devon were a distant memory and the last night in Salisbury was a wet and thundery one! The next day we cooked some fish on Joes' patented "Fishtastic Raquet" and Antony cooked some chunky potato wedges up in the cast iron dutch oven. Already I was overdue leaving, the hike back up to Yorkshire was going to take me four hours and the rain started to come down stronger and stronger, but I found it so hard to pull myself away from the idyllic lifestyle I was starting to enjoy so much. I knew that I would have to go back though and packed my gear up, along with the umpteen hazel wands I had collected for future projects at home. After a final farewell to Antony and Joe, and many thanks to John and Val, I set off for home. As I passed Stone Henge with the rain hammering down on the windscreen and the wiper blades going full tilt in an effort to improve visibility, I knew I was back in the over complicated world of technology and stress. How I longed to be back on the site in Devon!

After spending a week with the guys and having a quite some time to reflect on what I did on the course, I can safely say that the Wilderness Awakening is a course that can be attended by anybody. The eldest person on the course was a lady in her 60s who had never done any camping in her life and yet she collected fire wood, gutted animals and prepped them for cooking and created an ember with a bow drill set she had made herself. On the other hand, I have been doing this sort of thing for quite some time, concentrating on the Bushcraft side of things over the last few years a bit more and yet I learnt loads. My plant lore is simply rubbish and yet I came away with a good foundation of edible plants that I know I can positively identify and I'm even aware of plants that they could be mistaken for. I had read some of the things shown on the course but never seen them in action, so again it was useful to see them in action. Laying snares and checking them throughout the day was also an eye opener, even though we didn't catch anything but then we didn't expect to due to the noise created by a few of the course members! Still, it makes you think when you consider the amount of food required to survive and it could be done on the Devon site, there is plenty of food to be had there.

I would suggest a course with WSS to anybody. The instruction is spot on, the skills taught are a great foundation for those starting out and to those who have been honing their skills for many years. The Instructors are approachable and friendly and their subject knowledge is top notch. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with WSS, and I have used many of the techniques I learnt on the course since coming back home. If you opt for one of their courses, you will get value for your money beyond belief. I hope to get back one day myself!

And here are a few photos from the course. For some reason, I had massive issues with focussing on this course and a lot of my photos were very poor. I've picked the best of the bunch and have captioned them as best as I can.

Picture011.jpg

Joe teaching the fire starting lesson. Plenty of different techniques were available to try out, we went and lit our fires after this with char cloth. Some used ferro rods, others used traditional flint and steel.

Picture022.jpg

A successful fire lighting. Joe and the other instructors were often on hand to give individual tuition and pointers if needed, other times just to give a bit of support. This intimate instruction brought out the best in all of the students.

Picture010.jpg

A giant pig nut dug up on the foraging day. I had no idea that a single nut could potentially have more than one flower growing from it. This one was really peppery, I could have used it like horse radish!

Picture024.jpg

The full course on the last day minus one student who had to leave early for his imminent wedding (I hope it went well!), standing in front of the group debris shelter I lived in for the majority of the course.

Picture029.jpg

John Lords' effort at a hand axe. It's alright, I suppose! :rolleyes: He made the hand axe in no time at all and made it look so easy. He was gonna smash it up to make something else but we all stopped him, I think he takes these sort of things for granted but to us it was a work of art!

Picture038.jpg

Antony making chips whilst in the background, feathers are taken from Joes' goose wing Christmas decorations (!) to make fletchings for arrows. This was in Salisbury on the Primitive Tools course.

Picture040.jpg

Antony helping to fletch an arrow, his craftmanship at this sort of thing has to be seen to be believed. In the background, John Lord is caught on camera, my only in focus shot of him bar one other! :censored: His haunting flute playing on the first morning was amazing, his send up of a cuckoo had me fooled at least!

Picture046.jpg

John caught again, in focus! Joe stands beside him and in the foreground, the much celebrated Fishtastic Racquet!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Excellent stuff, glad it was so good and that you've let us know. I hear good things about their courses. Very tempting :D

Get yourself on one Tony, they're good courses and the site is so quiet it is unbelievable. I didn't hear a motorised vehicle all week apart from a tractor (There is a farm house close by) and I saw loads of buzzards. There were tracks from deer all over the place, although I only saw the rump end of one, and the kingfishers eluded us all week! It's a beautiful coppiced hazel wood with loads of wild foods growing about the place, unfortunately the strawberries weren't ready for us to sample, but they were everywhere!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Excellent write up Spam, sounds like a great course. I didn't recognise use at first, with the hair transfer, chin to head ;)

Hope to meet up soon for a blether.

Cheers

Stephen

It's going chinward again at the moment! With a family, a course isn't something I can afford to do that often (ie. never!) so the opportunity was a great one. Once upon a time I was set against ever going on a course, instead depending on a transfer of knowledge between like minded individuals at meet ups and over the internet and once even had a discussion with regards to that with an instructor from another school over the phone who rubbished the forums.

I thought (cynically) that the courses were a scheme to make money from somebody elses' hobby, but after going on the Wilderness Awakening I realised that it is a place where you can get bombarded with information that has been used over and over again by the instructors, and a lot of it sinks in without you even realising. I wrote the piece over a number of weeks, I have always been a bit rubbish at getting homework in on time! :D Saying that though, a lot of the information is still fresh in my mind now, some two months on. I think back to the course and try to remember specifics and most times I can. I think it was possibly better highlighted when I noticed the other students getting to grips with the skills.

If I had gone on a course at the start of my bushcraft interest, I would have been light years ahead of where I am skills wise now. I thought I knew quite a bit, but when you consider the skills of the instructors at WSS alone, they have loads more skill sets then I do. It is worth going on a course with a school to tap into that resource, any difficulties can be ironed out at the start.

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
Thanks for the link guys. Seen the address of the company so will be getting in touch with them shortly. I'd love to do the week long course but the last one advertised for the year (Oct) appears to be full....

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Thanks for thread, Spamel. This is a really wonderful forum. I seem to have missed the boat again this year - but I hope that I'll be able to book a course for next year soon (the committment thing). Any way I'll be contacting them - I was already interested in them, but that report of yours was really well written and answered all of the questions, doubts and anxieties which I, as a novice, had.

BTW - how do non-car drivers get to the courses? I suppose they have some arrangement to pick people up at the nearest railway station/bus stop?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Thanks for thread, Spamel. This is a really wonderful forum. I seem to have missed the boat again this year - but I hope that I'll be able to book a course for next year soon (the committment thing). Any way I'll be contacting them - I was already interested in them, but that report of yours was really well written and answered all of the questions, doubts and anxieties which I, as a novice, had.

BTW - how do non-car drivers get to the courses? I suppose they have some arrangement to pick people up at the nearest railway station/bus stop?

Absolutely right, Eggesford is the nearest and Joe or one of the other instructors will make arrangements for you to be picked up. There are plenty of courses to choose from though, are they all booked up?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE