Wild. An elemental Journey

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
I am reading this book by a young woman called Jay Griffiths... exploring the connections between human societies and wild land.

In her words: I took seven years over this book, spent all I had, my time, money and energy. I met cannibals infinitely kinder and more trustworthy than the murderous missionaries that evangilize them....

It is a rage against the cruelties commited for the sake of this bland consumer culture....

I ran away (for a few hours) when I was nine to sleep in the wildest garden in the street, a 3 acre jungle where a tramp lived in secret. I ran when I was 17, hitching around the country, pitching a tent at night. When I was 18 I tried to go to Tibet but only reached india. When I was 24 I went to Thailand, live for 6 months with the Karen Hill tribe in the northen forest on the Burmese border.... You lived on the earth, in the seasons, right within nature because there is nothing that is not nature. You eat what is hunted- a wild cat once, bamboo rats, wild boar, including the testicules....

Not an easy book to read. but there are some wonderful descriptions of the relationship "tribal" people around the world have with their wild land. And also of the damage western man particularly christian evangelists purposfully cause such as knowingly contacting tribes who have no imunnity to common disease knowing full well they will die because of it.

Well worth reading IMO

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE