whetstones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
It depend on what you are sharpening, the 325 for an ax, combination 600-1200 for knife and you can still use the 325 to remake the really dull edge on a knife if you let get that dull.
CG :yo:

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I had tought about putting something onto the back side of a leather strop. Like fine grinding paste, the sort of thing you lap valves into a cylinder head with. What did you use?
Ian.

leon-1

I use Abramax Grey (polishing compound), the DMT paste that you get with a starkie or the paste that is used for sharpening a straight razor.

Obviously the paste for the razor is the best one followed by the DMT and then Abramax grey, but all will get reasonable results.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
leon-1 said:
Once the knife is sharp stick to the 1200 unless you have an accident and put a dink in your edge.

The majority of the time a strop loaded with compound will keep a decent edge on your knife:)

oh feck i guess i need the 600 then bugger, guess what i just did??? :(

leon-1

Spoony bare in mind that diamond stones can be very aggressive and take of a lot more than you think in a short period of time, ask anyone with a dc4 and they will tell you the same.

Depending on what the dink is like you could probably still get away with the 1200. Good luck with it:)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
For my knives, I use arkansas oil stones. I don't use synthetic stones, because after a time, they end up with a groove in the middle. And they don't usually have a fine enough grit for a polished edge.

You can also use a japanese water stone, which is EXTREMELY good for getting a razor sharp edge. But they're hellishly expensive.

Diamond stones I don't have any experience with, but I'm sure there are some members on here who use them.

Butcher's steels don't actually sharpen a knive. They simply re-align the edge bevel for a time, but after heavy use it is necessary to use a stone.

Grits are another matter. Different grits on different stones don't compare. Japanese stones use a different grit rating than arkansas stones, for example.

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE