Where'd you go on summer camp then?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hi all,

Was just wondering what we all got up to on summer camp. We were on Guide camp last week (SWMBO is a Guide leader and I go along to look after our two kids - 5 & 2 yrs old), went to a Scout site near Torquay. The Guides have gone soft recently and hire a hut & kitchen, so it was pretty relaxed.

The site was nice (Watcombe) but the warden/crew took a bit of getting used to! We arrived to find that the pitch we had booked had sprouted an archery range and crew tents and when we said that didn't leave us enough space they got the right hump! From there the grief continued for the whole week, I'm sure it would be fine on the other pitches, it's just that we had the hut and the pitch next to it and that's where the crew area is.

Despite that the camp was good, and although we got a couple of torrential downpours the weather was generally OK.

Next week is Explorer camp at Kibblestone Scout site in Staffordshire....

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
We had one leader team running a Scout Camp and a separate Explorer Camp at Thriftwood in Essex.

Apart from the prehistoric toliets (which are about to be replaced) it’s an ideal site for an easy relaxed week. The staff are really helpful and laid back, there are loads of activities, including ice wall climbing using crampons and ice axes, raft building and canoeing with either K1 or C2s on their own pond/lake.

Most of my unit spent several nights in hammocks and the tree cover is such that they didn't need to put up tarps. There was no problem with open fires, the woodpile was empty for most of the week plenty of deadfall wood and we even made a mud oven to cook pies. :p

The only things stopping this from being the top scout site in my opinion are high ropes and a swimming pool, but you can go in the lake and the municipal pool is only 5 minutes by car.

And its one of the best camp fires around :)

We had rain most nights, which kept the scouts in their tents, but it was dry all day except the last one when it chucked down and we ended up with 14 wet tents to dry out :(

9/10 Recommended.

Bosun

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 30, 2003
Gloucester, UK
I took a small party to visit our Troop's sister Boy Scouts of America Troop in Marietta, near Atlanta, USA.

I established the link with the BSA Troop three years ago during a visit to our family over there. I emailed three BSA Troops in Marietta before our visit to see if I could visit their Troop meetings. Only one Scoutmaster replied, but as a result we invited them to the UK in 2004 and they came to the Essex International Jamboree with us. They returned the favour this year.

There was me (ASL), an ACSL, a Scout Network member (what do you call them?), an Explorer and three Scouts. The present Mrs Bosun came too, but she resolutely refused to take part in any Scouty bits ;) .

We spent the first week enjoying home hospitality with the American Boy Scouts and their families. My Scout son and I stayed at my sister-in-law's place - hence the link.

We went to watch the Atlanta Braves baseball team lose to the New York Mets :( and were invited to provide the "Honor Guard" for one of the American's Eagle Scout award ceremony. That was an interesting experience. Becoming an Eagle Scout is taken very seriously, and it's an achievement that will stand a young man in good stead throughout his working life.

The second week was spent on a 1600 acre BSA Reservation in the North Georgia Mountains. Whilst there we hiked a (small) section of the Appalachian Trail :D , went white-water rafting in North Carolina and had a day of "aquatics" at one of the American Scout's parents' lake house. As we went just after the end of the Reservation's official season, we had the whole place to ourselves.

It was an absolutely fantastic experience for all concerned, and everyone got a good deal out of it. It was a real pleasure to see the young ones mix so well.

We're probably going to invite them over here for the 2008 Essex International Jamboree. It's a good one for them as there are so many more nationalities for them to mix with.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Excellent. We went to Thriftwood a couple of years ago (they were 'just about' to build new toilets then as well :rolleyes: ), and agree it's a very nice site, we had a good time there.

The American trip sounds good, we really must sort out some foreign travel for our Explorers. USA sounds expensive though, the Scouts went to Italy this year and that was expensive enough at £400! I love the sound of the big open spaces though, and one of our leaders emigrated to Canada last year, so maybe we'll get a trip out to see him (might leave the Explorers at home though!).

richardnhunt

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2006
Surrey
Personal opinion is that if you like the water, you have to go a long way to beat Longbridge at Marlow in Buckinghamshire. Superb site and a friendly/helpful crew. (www.longridge.org.uk) No connectiona apart from being a satisfied customer.

Rich

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
richardnhunt said:
Personal opinion is that if you like the water, you have to go a long way to beat Longbridge at Marlow in Buckinghamshire. Superb site and a friendly/helpful crew. (www.longridge.org.uk) No connectiona apart from being a satisfied customer.

Rich
We went there with our lot in June - suffice to say we're booked up again for next year... :D

Mark

Bosun

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 30, 2003
Gloucester, UK
The USA trip was £750 per person (including £600 return air fare).

The American Troop charged us £100 per person for the second week's activities (camping, white-water rafting, transport, food, etc). The remainder was intended to pay for our transport to and from London Gatwick, but Group kindly paid for that so I had a small contingency fund to take with me instead.

One of the main lessons we learnt was that it's never too early to start fundraising. We had several bag-packing sessions at our local Morrisons and a ceilidh. We could have (should have) done a lot more, but nobody appeared to have a struggle finding the money.

If you have any foreign contacts it's well worth sounding them out re establishing a link.

Gloucestershire's County HQ and camp site is at Cranham. It's a small site surrounded by beech woods. The facilities are good and the whole place is well maintained. See http://www.gloucestershire-scouts.org.uk/cranham/index.htm.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
richardnhunt said:
Personal opinion is that if you like the water, you have to go a long way to beat Longbridge at Marlow in Buckinghamshire.
Agreed, its a fantasitc place and I love the way that leaders are encouraged to join in. :You_Rock_

The only reservation I have is that its a 2-3 hour minibus trip home and I end up not going on teh water during Sunday or I am too tired to drive home :eek:

We used to have Kinsdown which was just as good but of course they sold it. You can still camp there but activities are extremely limited and there isn't a warden or crew. :(

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
We took our two scout troops and my explorer unit to Two mile bottom in Thetford for a week. Great fun out and about, RAF Marham looked after us for a day, Swaffom wind turbine is a laugh and even let us invest a newbie at the obs platform which does sway quite a bit :eek: .

Only thing was NO wood fires. Down to the forestry lot for that. Understandably though I guess they did not want their forest burnng down cos it was a bit parched! Although it did rain nearly all the time that we were there.

Thriftwood is 20 mins from me so we go as often as we can, yes its a great site, yes the new wash blocks are nearly done. The only problem we have is, as a owner district, we feel that the pricing is all wrong. But thats politics! and i'm not here for that!!!

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
miniac said:
Only thing was NO wood fires. Down to the forestry lot for that. Understandably though I guess they did not want their forest burnng down cos it was a bit parched! Although it did rain nearly all the time that we were there.

Is that a general rule or was it just 'cos of the dry start to the summer? I was looking at that site for next year, there is loads of info about the Scout/Guide building there, but none about the campsite.

Just got back from a week with the Explorers at Kibblestone campsite near Stafford - a very nice, large site with good facilities and loads of onsite activities. The crew were very helpful and flexible. We had one of the free of charge shelters (our was the Kingfisher shelter) which was great, somewhere to put all of the food, fridges and cooking kit to leave the mess tent free for eating in. A highly recommended site.

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
I think it was just the time of year and the fact that it had not rained for a few weeks. The campsite had fire areas and a wood pile so they must have them. I dont think it was the wardons call, more likeky the forestry lot that take care of the whole forest.

Was still very much enjoyed. Although wiggling ones toes at a gas lamp, not the same.

E

explorerscout

Kibs great, and Beaudesert Campsite, we go to Rough close nr Coventry, a lot , great back to basic site and no problem with open fires.
I do a lot o the bush craft training there.

W

Winston Dover

If you want a good basics site try Milldale in South West Cheshier, just outside Crewe, Its got a great sized camping field, but also a coupld of wooded areas for smaller camping, thres a river on it, but no fishing rights yet, there is a barn for shelter if you take cubs, and a toilet block. they priovide air rifle shootng and arcehry, with instruction if you need it.

It makes for a good basics weekend. Im warden there in a couple of weeks and am looking forward to a weekend practising my skills, I want to get the hang of the bowdrill, thats my aim while im there.

Unfortunately the site doesnt have a websiote yet, its being built, but i have a few pictures of it if anyone is intereting.

They tend to allow scoutgroups and other youth groups to camp there.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Unfortunately I didnt get to go on a summer camp.
But I did get to teach some Japanese Scout on the way to World Jamboree (Ho Ho) some carving which they enjoyed.
They stayed at possibly the most beutifull Scout camp in England, Ennerdale. The view up the lake is stunning and I can see bits of it out the window right now.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As a ex - (resting?) Scoutleader I did not get to a Summer Camp but I did meet a lot of Thai Scouts in Bangkok airport and on the plane to Heathrow. They were coming over for the celebrations and I have to say that their uniform is more traditional and smarter than the current UK one, they wore it with obvious pride and managed to look smart even after a 12hr flight!
I wish the Scouts I know in Britain were as "Scouty"!
I am sure there are equally good Scouts in the UK ,but I have not seen them recently...
Maybe I should get back into uniform.......

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
As a ex - (resting?) Scoutleader I did not get to a Summer Camp but I did meet a lot of Thai Scouts in Bangkok airport and on the plane to Heathrow. They were coming over for the celebrations and I have to say that their uniform is more traditional and smarter than the current UK one, they wore it with obvious pride and managed to look smart even after a 12hr flight!
I wish the Scouts I know in Britain were as "Scouty"!
I am sure there are equally good Scouts in the UK ,but I have not seen them recently...
Maybe I should get back into uniform.......

John I am sure if your distict is like ours they will pleased to have you back.:)

You should have seen how disciplnned the Japanese Scouts were they would not eat until everyone was served thier meal and a prayer was said which for one meal took an hour.
Teaching them carving when they could not speak english was interesting to say the least of not worrying.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Hi,

We went to Tolmers this year with our Explorers - a very nice site in near Potters Bar. The site is pretty well equipped with archery, air rifles (including a 'tin can alley' which was very good!), a couple of climbing/abseiling walls, including a rotating one, boating/rafting pond & kit, plus various 'commercial' pieces of kit.

The camping area is good and there is plenty of woodland about, although it rained for pretty much 5 days solid and some the ground was starting to get very waterlogged - fortunately we were ok where we were pitched. There was a well stocked woodpile and we cooked on wood all week.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The only real criticism I would say was the price of the onsite activities - we have our own instructors and kit for most of the activities and usually get the use of a lake, climbing wall or rifle range very cheaply, but here they 'don't charge' for instructors and kit (what they mean is, include it in the price!) and so we had a bit of a struggle getting a good rate for them - we managed it in the end though. Obviously this isn't a problem if you want to use the on-site kit and people, and otherwise I'd say it was a very good site.

We spent a day at nearby ESSA - Enfield Scout Sailing Association, which was also very good - we did a full day of sailing, rafting and kayaking for around £10 a head (iirc, although we supplied our own kayak instructor so that helped keep the price down), they were very well organised and well equiped with plenty of helpers around.

All in all a top week, and in true camp style it rained all week and was sunny for the trip home - we did manage to get the tents down dry though, so that was a blessing!

We're going to 'Smuggler 2008' (Cornish Explorer Jamboree type thing) next year - anyone else?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE