Where to buy meths?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I'm sure Rik was on about using methanol in place of meths.

Correct. I think he said it was costing him about a pound per litre off eBay.

I buy my meths in France, it's in every supermarket there in one litre plastic bottles, some have 5 litres. A little under a pound a litre either way, I buy both.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Methanol is fine in Trangia and pop-can burners. Just as good as meths. Be careful with it because it is poisonous and can be absorbed thru your skin, so no washing paint etc off your hands with it.
There's any number of people flogging it on ebay; it's used in the making of biodiesel. Just do an ebay search for 'methanol' and find someone near you.

Don't use white spirit in Trangias & pop-cans. It might be called spirit but it certainly isn't alcohol. If anything it is closer to paraffin, and you'll end up with a fireball if you use it in alcohol burners.

Feb 6, 2011
none
Was in my local hardware store today , and the resdident alcoholic came in and asked for some meths,the shop owner said sorry but he would not sell him any , the alki has been dry for weks and commented that it was ok for the store to sell him paint , brushes , rollers , sandpaper etc , but not meths ? The shopkeeper said allright then , and the bloke said ,you havent got one in the fridge have you ? ...sorry couldnt resist that one

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE