Whats the connection?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Hi all.
My first post in a long time; but still following everything.

I watched the RM canoeing thing, last night and, as a long time ropework freak, I just wondered ,what on earth was a wind-ship sailors "ditty-chest", was doing in a canoe?

Thing is, it wasnt of the conventional , shipboard design, but , someone had gone to great lengths to make up a fancy becket (handle) and hanger. This sort of thing, was usually flashed around as evidence of crusted salt water experience and , lack of availability of Samsonites.

P,raps some old salts went into the canoe-ing trade?

Seagull

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
Seagull said:
Hi all.
My first post in a long time; but still following everything.

I watched the RM canoeing thing, last night and, as a long time ropework freak, I just wondered ,what on earth was a wind-ship sailors "ditty-chest", was doing in a canoe?

Thing is, it wasnt of the conventional , shipboard design, but , someone had gone to great lengths to make up a fancy becket (handle) and hanger. This sort of thing, was usually flashed around as evidence of crusted salt water experience and , lack of availability of Samsonites.

P,raps some old salts went into the canoe-ing trade?

Seagull

Seagull

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about then it was probably a Wanagin (SP?).

A wanagin was/is basically a travelling kitchen and food store. They were often curved to fit in the bottom of the canoe and could be made pretty much watertight. Some of them were decorated and quite elaborate.

Once at camp it would be used as everything from work surface to table.

I have one I made that I take out - though made from marine ply it still has a very close fitting lid that straps down tight. Inside there are all sorts of different compartments to hold all the various things from food to stove and pots. In the lid there's a plastic chopping board so I can turn the lid over and use it as a work surface to prepare dinner - then turn it the right way round and sit on it while I eat dinner. In the boat it can act as a third seat and tied in tight it gives extra bouyancy if you swamp.

George

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Seagull said:
Well Guys, I am amazed.
Between you, youve sorted out my puzzlement AND given me a new word!

Gratcongulations and thanks.

Seagull

And thank YOU Seagull for giving us an entirely new word ;) I shall endeavour to use it more in conversation...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE