What's the best way to store/ pack a GT Bivi?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

nowhere

I read somewhere that it's best not to keep folding it along the same lines otherwise it lets water in?

Also is it best to have a seperate sack for it.

Hoping if i treat it well it will treat me well!

Steve.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Goes for any coated / laminated material - if you keep folding it sharply along the same lines, it's more likely to delaminate there. I've had early goretex that did that. But... the guy who sold me a full on mountain hardware goretex shell said that that manufacturer would normally consider any sort of delamination to be a manufacturing defect and fix it FOC within the life of the jacket.

No need for a stuff sack unless you've got sharp gear inside your pack that would tear it or you like to carry it inside out ! If it's wet, roll it up and strap it outside your pack

Store it damp and it will go mouldy though.

Cheers

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Same with tents and so on - stuff them into the stuff sack ... don't fold!

Carpe_Diem

Jan 9, 2004
Australia
Goretex Bivi bags WONT delaminate as Goretex isn't a laminated fabric. The waterproof nature of Goretex is inherent in the molecular structure of the fabric itself NOT on some coating that is applied to the fabric. Goretex fabric have pores that will ALLOW water VAPOUR molecules to pass out from inside but wont allow WATER molecules to pass in. This is because the water vapour molecules (sweat) are about 700 times smaller than solid water molecules (rain)

You can fold Goretex any way you want repeatedly, it wont affect it.

The reason you DONT fold tents along the same creases all the time is because they ARE laminated. The fly's are usually Nylon which is coated with a polyeurethane membrane that makes the nylon waterproof. This laminate usually wears off in time.

New Siliconised Nylon materials work different yet again. While they aren't actually waterPROOF as such, the silicone that is impregnated into the molecular structure of nylon causes the water to simply BEAD off the fabric rather than being absorbed INTO the fabric and going through it.

regards
Jeelan

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
gore-tex self isn't a laminate, but the outer water repelant ( and inner layers ) are diffrent material laminated to the gore-tex. Thats why where the 2 layers and 3 layers gorte-tex comes from

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE