What is it with Blackbirds ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nearly every morning I get woken up by the blackbirds tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet tweet, they go on and on. Now I always thought it was a territorial thing with them, they do it morning and night and in the mating season (a long one for them) they go on all day long, but this evening just as I was leaving work I saw three of them going at it on someones roof, not taking any notice of the other two next to them. So I am now thinking that they just like to make a noise because they can. Can anyone give me any clues into their behavior...........Jon

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Cheers for that Andy. I have just had a look, it does not answer my question fully, though it would suggest territory, but from spring onwards, its winter. I cannot believe that the numbers are down by 20%, I am finding loads of them everywhere I go..........Jon

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
wolf said:
i think its to do with the street lights...... ;)
No mate...........Thats robins that sing in the night under a street light. Blackbirds are shouting away in my back garden where there is no lights............Jon

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
wolf said:
i knew it was one or the other,remember reading something... ;)
We have a robin that sometimes sings away at 3 in the morning out the front. It is nice to hear, not like the blackbirds which are annoying. I do wonder when the robin gets some kip................Jon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Jon Pickett said:
No mate...........Thats robins that sing in the night under a street light. Blackbirds are shouting away in my back garden where there is no lights............Jon

Would this *shouting* be loud, shrill, CHIP, CHIP, CHIP, getting kind of frantic? Goes on for up to quarter of an hour?
If so, you've got cats or foxes nearby. When they're nesting the birds flyte like that when the magpies or squirrels get too close to their nests.

Cheers,
Toddy

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Toddy said:
Would this *shouting* be loud, shrill, CHIP, CHIP, CHIP, getting kind of frantic? Goes on for up to quarter of an hour?
If so, you've got cats or foxes nearby. When they're nesting the birds flyte like that when the magpies or squirrels get too close to their nests.

Cheers,
Toddy

Hi Toddy..........I happens everyday around here, yes there are cats around and a few foxes, but the birds arn't nesting at the mo. It is the chip chip chip noise they are making and I did used to think they were alarmed by a cat, but it happens every morning and evening and all day long during the mating season. You say 1/4 hour, I have heard them constant for 3/4 hour and I mean constant. I am a bird lover, but Blackbirds really test my patience, esp when I want a lay in, I can't sleep with the window shut..................Jon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Jon Pickett said:
Hi Toddy..........I happens everyday around here, yes there are cats around and a few foxes, but the birds arn't nesting at the mo. It is the chip chip chip noise they are making and I did used to think they were alarmed by a cat, but it happens every morning and evening and all day long during the mating season. You say 1/4 hour, I have heard them constant for 3/4 hour and I mean constant. I am a bird lover, but Blackbirds really test my patience, esp when I want a lay in, I can't sleep with the window shut..................Jon

Cats are dawn and dusk hunters and they'll scare the blackies at any time of year; it came to mind because the ones at the edge of my garden were doing it this morning and there's new tom cat prowling around my tabby, he slithered under the fence and sat as bold as brass on the back path before 7 this morning and set the birds off. It is really annoying (I'm being polite ;) ) the racket they make. It is their alarm call by the sounds of it, no idea how to help :confused: , sorry.
My neighbour feels the same about one of the great tits that sits up the top of a sycamore at the edge of the gardens, it sound likes a barrow with a flat toned squeeky wheel, whistled repetitively :eek: the d*** bird starts at 3.45 am all summer long; Billy's sworn he's buying an airgun if it starts again
this year. :rolleyes:
How about putting out bread for the birds at the opposite end of the house from where you're trying to sleep? See if you can encourage the blackies to go there, and even if they do get alarmed it's out of your earshot? ......maybe, it's gye shrill :(

Cheers.....with sympathy,
Toddy

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
I've been kept awake all night around Sept last year from picking the wrong wood to camp in, started making a noise about 11:30-12 and didn't stop until near dawn.

Greg

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Toddy said:
Cats are dawn and dusk hunters and they'll scare the blackies at any time of year; it came to mind because the ones at the edge of my garden were doing it this morning and there's new tom cat prowling around my tabby, he slithered under the fence and sat as bold as brass on the back path before 7 this morning and set the birds off. It is really annoying (I'm being polite ;) ) the racket they make. It is their alarm call by the sounds of it, no idea how to help :confused: , sorry.
My neighbour feels the same about one of the great tits that sits up the top of a sycamore at the edge of the gardens, it sound likes a barrow with a flat toned squeeky wheel, whistled repetitively :eek: the d*** bird starts at 3.45 am all summer long; Billy's sworn he's buying an airgun if it starts again
this year. :rolleyes:
How about putting out bread for the birds at the opposite end of the house from where you're trying to sleep? See if you can encourage the blackies to go there, and even if they do get alarmed it's out of your earshot? ......maybe, it's gye shrill :(

Cheers.....with sympathy,
Toddy
It is probably my fault that there are birds there in the first place, I have got feeders everywhere, glutton for punishment I suppose. I know what your neighbor means, I have wished for a gun at times.Great tits can be noisey when looking for a mate, they make a sound a bit like a chiff chaff.............Jon

Ben_Hillwalker

Forager
Sep 19, 2005
Surrey
Everywhere I've been Blackbirds do that chink-chink-chink thing at dusk.

I suspect that it's a nervousness thing as that chinking is the Blackbird's agitation call.

As darkness comes on, which is when predators are hardest to spot, I think the birds are set off by just about any disturbance and so will call constantly. Well, that's my theory anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE