What I shot in the woods today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Stovie..........I was there too at that time, we probably passed each other. I have only just learnt how to put up photo's thanks to Leon1. I now need to make sure I click on the right one to upload..............Jon

leon-1

Abbe Osram said:
Oh, I cant take the honour of the shot, someone else did it I snatched the picture from the net one day when I explainded the bird I saw last time hunting. They are like small clowns funny and come very near. Forest workers say that they can feed them by hand, the birds lands in the hand and take the bread from the workers.

I looked it up: Siberian JayPerisoreus infaustus

Siberian Jays are rather comical birds, fluttering around in the branches of pine trees or hopping about on the ground like overgrown tits. They are often silent and tend to bunch together in small parties so they can be tricky to find, but if you do see them they can be very approachable and will often fly right up to you. They are unmistakeable birds about Mistle Thrush-size but with rusty red tails and wing panels.

Breeds in old coniferous forests especially with deep undergrowth of bilberries or junipers.

There have been no records in Britain, although intriguingly there has been a report of one on an oil rig in the North Sea.

Breeds in much of Scandinavia but is most likely to be found in the forests of Lapland. They are, however, very unobtusive birds which either remain hidden or come to within feet of you. The little camping area on top of the Valtavaara Ridge, near Kuusamo (Finland) is a particularly reliable spot.
100-300,000 breeding pairs mainly in Sweden with smaller populations in Finland and Norway.

cheers
Abbe

Thanks Abbe, appreciated.

Jon Pickett said:
I have only just learnt how to put up photo's thanks to Leon1

My pleasure Jon and if you keep on putting pictures like that up I will regret not having done it before:)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I got a good one of a Wren today on the reedmace.................Jon
dsc01123large6zv.jpg

Hooray.....I got it right

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE