what does it mean

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DISCO

Aug 18, 2004
SCOTLAND
Hi Spoony, This Is My First Post So Be Gentle With Me.i Do Not Claim To Be An Expert In Blade Geometery Or Anything Else.a Hollow Grind As I Understand It Is From The Cutting Edge It's Very Thin And Flairs In A Concave Curve To The Spine. If You Already Knew That Part Sorry For The Speel.as Far As Good Or Bad, Personal Choice As Usual What You Want To Use It For. I Think Recommended For Food Prep Good Thin Slicer.a Lot Of Kitchen Knifes Ground This Way. The Main Reason I Answered The Post Is I Fancied A Large Bowie From An American Company Called Mineral Mountain Hatchette Works. The Bowies Are Hollow Ground And I Wasn't Sure If It Would Be Too Thin/ Fine An Edge For Chopping/heavy Use. But Apparently They Are Pretty Robust. I'm Sure Somebody With More Knowledge Can Help You But It Gives Me A Chance To Pop The Posting Cherry.

cgait

Jan 23, 2005
Cwmaman, South Wales
This is the best I can find on blade grinds. It really helped me out ;) .

bladegrinds1kx.jpg

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
spoony said:
thanks for that, looking at the the hollow and convex would be the most difficult to sharpen,

Hollow grounds are actually very easy to sharpen. You rest the knife on the hone as if it's a scandi, but you're only grinding down two points of the blade (one of them being the edge, of course) so it's very quick and efficient.

I must admit that I haven't tried a convex edge before, but by the sounds of it it's not too tricky either.

DISCO

Aug 18, 2004
SCOTLAND
Spoony A Lot Of People Recomend Wet Dry Abasive Paper On Top Of A Mouse Pad For The Convex Edge As There Is A Little Give And Conforms To The Blade Curve. They Also Say To Do It As If Stropping Eg Drawing The Knife Backwards As Opposed To Pushing It. The Hollow Grind I Wouldn't Put Totally Flat On The Stone As Eventually You Would Reprofile It Into A Scandi.the Hollow Like The Flat Would Have An Edge Bevel.out Of Them All The Scandi Is The Easiest To Sharpen. The Scandi And Convex Envolve Removing More Metal Due To Sharpening The Whole Edge.have You Got Your Eye On A Hollow Ground Blade Or Just Thirsting For Knowledge.

leon-1

Sharpening can be a bit of a black art, grinds can also effect the performance of the blade in a great way.

Hollow grind, great for razors not overly good for bushcraft, too easily damaged.

Full flat grind is a good grind easy to sharpen and will slice all day, but the edge can be a little fragile due to the thinness of the blade and edge.

Scandi, otherwise known as Sabre grind, provides a good strong edge good for carving and general work and easy to sharpen.

Convex grind is very strong can retain an edge for a long time and becoming more popular all the time, once upon a time people thought that it was a bit of an art form to sharpen, but if you use a hoodoo hone (wet 'n' dry glued to a mouset mat) maintaining a convex grind can be quite easy.

It is not just the person sharpening the knife it is what they are using to sharpen it as well and some things will make life a lot easier:)

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
DISCO said:
Spoony A Lot Of People Recomend Wet Dry Abasive Paper On Top Of A Mouse Pad For The Convex Edge As There Is A Little Give And Conforms To The Blade Curve. They Also Say To Do It As If Stropping Eg Drawing The Knife Backwards As Opposed To Pushing It. The Hollow Grind I Wouldn't Put Totally Flat On The Stone As Eventually You Would Reprofile It Into A Scandi.the Hollow Like The Flat Would Have An Edge Bevel.out Of Them All The Scandi Is The Easiest To Sharpen. The Scandi And Convex Envolve Removing More Metal Due To Sharpening The Whole Edge.have You Got Your Eye On A Hollow Ground Blade Or Just Thirsting For Knowledge.

on the look out for a knife, so just a thirst for knowledge

R

Razorback-Knives

One thing to remember with any primary grind is that the secondary grind or edge bevel can be convexed. I took an Ontario RTAK which is a flat grind and convexed the edge. It cuts like a laser and stays sharper longer. :) I mainly make knives with a full convex grind and stropping is all that's necessary to maintain a convex grind and edge. If any of the other grind types are given convexed edges the same would hold true.
Scott

Indi

Nov 2, 2005
The Netherlands, Noord Holland
I prefer convexed edge/bevel, It's stronger. Look at an axe, it's always convexed. Also when I sharp my knives I make the edge mirror polish, it will last longer. When an adge break, it will break in the groove/line that you get from sharping.

Take care,
IND

leon-1

Yep I agree that a convex edge is a stronger edge, but it also takes time to work on.

Clipper could vouch for how sharp my axe gets without stropping and its edge retention, but in the end it depends on the tool you are using and the quality of the steel along with the technique you use to sharpen it.:)

A novice will find a flat / sabre grind a lot easier to sharpen and it is the doorway to everything else when it comes to sharpening a knife or edged tool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE