What did you buy today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Megatramp

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2024
Ashfield
Teedee, that's exactly what I'm pondering, guess I'll have to give one a try.
Nice65, really appreciate the feedback, especially the pic of it next to the Jaakaripuukko 140, puts it into perspective for me. Do you find it a useful size day to day?
I like a small fixed blade in my pocket for dirty jobs, currently a Condor Kickback or flat grind Enzo Necker blank in a homemade poly pipe sheath, but I'd like to go smaller.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Bought a Scientific Anglers fly line, MPX smooth floater, 7wt. I had not used one of their floaters before, just recently tried some sink tip lines. In the past I have used Rio Gold In- Touch in 6wt and a Sunray in 6wt. Older 7wt lines. Never come close to casting a full 30 yard line, usually topping out at 22 yards max.
Last evening, I took the new line to the park and very quickly launched all but six turns left on the reel, so about 28 yards. That line is incredible for distance.

Reactions: Decacraft

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Nice65, really appreciate the feedback, especially the pic of it next to the Jaakaripuukko 140, puts it into perspective for me. Do you find it a useful size day to day?
I like a small fixed blade in my pocket for dirty jobs, currently a Condor Kickback or flat grind Enzo Necker blank in a homemade poly pipe sheath, but I'd like to go smaller.

I can't remember the name of the little knife in the Jaakaripukko series , but the one with the wharnecliffe type blade I feel is 'right' for me - Its quite capable and small enough to not be a hindrance. imo

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
It’s for splicing rope. Anywhere that you want to pass a strand or another cord through the lay of a cable or through a knot - as in a splice. It is particularly useful for matting and multi-pass knots like the manrope knot or the turks head.

If you routinely tie up a boat it’s useful to tuck 100mm or so of the working part (end) ) through the cable. There is no way that will ever slip.

Unless you enjoy knot work you can go right through your life never needing one.

Megatramp

Tenderfoot
Feb 16, 2024
Ashfield
I can't remember the name of the little knife in the Jaakaripukko series , but the one with the wharnecliffe type blade I feel is 'right' for me - Its quite capable and small enough to not be a hindrance. imo
Skrama 80. Bought one year's ago for my youngest but he prefers his Mora. That's practically a full sized knife though. Do you pocket carry it regularly?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Skrama 80. Bought one year's ago for my youngest but he prefers his Mora. That's practically a full sized knife though. Do you pocket carry it regularly?

Lacking a sheath at the moment so no - although I would throw it in a pocket if sheathed.
I live and exist in a rural location - so for me it makes sense.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I recieved delivery of a Tod Cutler low status peasants eating knife via Royal Mail. My postie does not have any problem believing my age :) Anyway I think it is rather too good for a low status peasant and I think will serve very well as a small all round knife for kitchen prep as well as a bit of bushcraft.

Reactions: grainweevil

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hard to say, the blade stock is thick, 3mm I think, it’s not a cardboard slicer. But on the other hand you’re not going to break it, it’s very solid. It’ll come down to your day to day use and whether that tiny handle will work for you.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
It’s for splicing rope. Anywhere that you want to pass a strand or another cord through the lay of a cable or through a knot - as in a splice. It is particularly useful for matting and multi-pass knots like the manrope knot or the turks head.

If you routinely tie up a boat it’s useful to tuck 100mm or so of the working part (end) ) through the cable. There is no way that will ever slip.

Unless you enjoy knot work you can go right through your life never needing one.
A fid. Incredibly useful invention, I’ve spliced many a rope with my trusty fid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE