Wetforming of leather knife sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Raptor

Tenderfoot
I'm half way through making my second knife sheath project, problem is that I'm trying to figure out how to get that nice contoured fit around the handle and down to the blade area.
I know wet-forming leather is one method used to create this moulded type of feature.
Does anyone have any techniques for wet-forming leather or any other ideas. :confused:

Frank

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
The basic is to wet the leather and then mold the leather to the knife. It's really that simple. :D

You will need to use vegetable tanned leather because that's the only one that will work. I usually stitch the sheath first to fit the knife. When you have the sheath ready, wet it and then place the knife (wraped in 2 layers of cling film) in the sheath and press the leather to shape. Leave to dry with the knife in the sheath.

Some flat and smooth (with no sharp edges) piece of wood or bone will help to form the leather more uniformly.

singteck

Pipistrelle

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2006
England (North West)
I agree, but I submerge the sheath in water until the bubbles stop coming out. Then shape to fit and keep shaping it until it dries in the shape you want, just before it dries is a perfect time to add decorative patterns. It is worth keeping a peice of offcut handy so it is easy to note the colour change.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Just be careful as the leather marks really easily when it's softened so make sure your nails are trimmed and don't use anything sharp to press into it.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
singteck said:
The basic is to wet the leather and then mold the leather to the knife. It's really that simple. :D

You will need to use vegetable tanned leather because that's the only one that will work. I usually stitch the sheath first to fit the knife. When you have the sheath ready, wet it and then place the knife (wraped in 2 layers of cling film) in the sheath and press the leather to shape. Leave to dry with the knife in the sheath.

Some flat and smooth (with no sharp edges) piece of wood or bone will help to form the leather more uniformly.

singteck

This is my burnisher:

burnishermt0.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE