Weightlifting and fitness

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
I have started doing Kick Boxing and would like to get to a point where i can compete . I have loads of free weights and a bench , but am not sure what type of routine would benefit me best . Any ideas ?
Cheers
Pumbaa

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
personaly, i'd try not to bulk up. you're going for speed.
most importantly, get down to your local gym and speak to one of the trainers there.
they'll be able to advise you properly.

Razorstrop

Nomad
Oct 1, 2005
North West
Hi Mate
I can help you a bit with this one, but remember my advice isnt that of a professional and you should always contact your GP before undertaking any strenous exercise etc etc

Aerobic fitness is what you are looking for. Weight training has its place and we'll come to that later but what you need to be able to do is keep going and going.

I would suggest start running, lots.and lots of it. Break up your runs by jogging and sprinting between alternately, eg jog to the lamppost ahead of you when you reach it sprint to the next one , then jog to the next one etc etc. This will extend your powers of recovery dramatically. I would also look at doing some sort of circuit training, running , jumping ,resistance training all done in a quick order, again helping to improve your aerobic recovery rate.

As for weight training, as I said before forget the bench and free weights for awhile. Concentraite on using your own body weight as resistance. Doing sets of push ups ( different positions to target different muscle groups), sit ups and crunches ( core strength is a must in kick boxing ) pull ups ( for biceps ) spread arm pull ups (for upper back strength) tricep dips on the back of a chair ( triceps obviously lol , squats ( quadraceps in your thighs) and lunges ( quads and hamstrings) calf raises ( stood on the edge of a step.

Equally important is to ge tinto a good streaching routine before and after exercise, dont try to do the front and side splits straight off the bad , you'll only injure yourself.

Look all these exercises up so you get the correct form , one perfect push up / sit up is worth 10 bad ones.

Hope this helps you out
Good luck
Garry

Reactions: beachlover

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Everything Razorstrop and Graham said but increase the stretching

Competition kick boxing means training seven days a week so you're going to need a varying routine

Road work, punchbag, skipping (you've seen Rocky? Similiar sort of thing) are all essential but stretching everyday, twice a day is better, is even more so

If you can supplement it with kung fu / karate classes it will give you some variation. The training was to monotonous for me without the forms and meditation side to give it some sort of balance

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
2Blackcat got there first but if you can fit it in Tai Chi, Karate, Iaido etc. would give an added bonus and thats a focused mind. Competition is good but while you are physically training your mind needs to be fit as well.

I am sure you instructure has this in the programme already but it can be over looked by the student in the rush to win.

My two cents.

James

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Aerobic fitness is what you want, but strength is also essential. If you are strong then each contraction of your muscles is worth more, so increases your power overall. However don't do too much strength training, as it will then start to convert your fast-oxidative glycolitic (FOG) fibres to those of a strength athlete.
Aerobic fitness will give you the ability to keep going and going. Your aerobic system can provide power for as long as you have the food and oxygen for it (basically indefinitely), but doesn't provide much energy per contraction. Therefore for very fast and very hard actions, such as jumping high, sprinting, punching, etc, you need strength above fitness. Look at Linford Christie for example - he has the bulk of a bodybuilder and needs it to run so fast. However he could not run very far as he relies on his ATP-PC and anaerobic glycolitic systems for energy, which while they give a lot of power, will run out very quickly (ATP-PC after about 10s of use).
You need to decide just which of these two you need to be. You cannot excel at both, because of your FOG fibres. However both routines need elements of the other. If you choose to become an aerobic athlete, do a lot of very slow jogging, and supplement this with a little strength training, and a fair bit of intervals training (this is a special kind of running that increases your anaerobic threshold, or AT, which put simply enables you to run faster without using anaerobic systems, which of course will run out and also give you loads of lactic acid in your legs, which won't help at all). If you're a strength athlete, do loads of strength training, but don't forget to do a bit of running too. Also do plenty of sprint training. And stretch, warm up and warm down before and after every single activity, unless it is a very slow jog.
One thing that may influence your decision of which to be is what's known as your somatype, which is one of three different types of build. You get Endomorphs, Mesomorphs and Ectomorphs. The first two may as well be the same, as today when we all have a little too much fat on us there is little to distinguish. Basically, if you are an ectomorph, you are tall and skinny, and have narrow shoulders. I'm one of these, and it means you'll do very well as an aerobic athlete. If you're not, you'd do better as a strength athlete. Of course it isn't as concrete as this, it's not like being male or female, and there are people at Olympic level who have the "wrong" somatype - but it may help you all the same.
If you've any questions don't hesitate to PM me :)
Chris

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
As a practicing second dan i have found that a system called PNF is the best way to dtretch. it hurts like hell but is actually very effective.

it works by you fooling your ody into letting you stretch further, breaking away from the traditionl stretch where you get to the ppoint when you feel pain then try to stretch through it.

this actually defeats the object as your body will tighten the muscles you are actually trying to stretch.
The only bad ting is that you need a partner to get the best effect.

I can't frmember what the PNF stands for... something to do with neurological facilitation IIRC.

I can write out a system for you if you are interested.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
If you only do one weight exercise, make it deadlift. Deadlifts strengthen not only the erector muscles in the back, but the whole corset of muscle. This has in my case built up my abs so that they stick out as far as my pecs :confused:
This corset of muscle will protect you with lifting stuff in normal life too. I'd imagine having this sort of protective layer of muscle would be good if you want to do a sport where you get beaten up too...
Just my 2 cents (and I have no knowledge of kickboxing!)

pumbaa

Settler
Jan 28, 2005
dorset
Cheers guys , i appreciate the input .
I am of a large build although not fat , but do carry a bit more than a 6 pack ! :D
Artic hobo , will have a yarn with you at the dartmoor meet .
Dave Barker , Very interested in the stretching thecniques .

Thanks guys

Pumbaa

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
I'm in the mind that anaerobic exercise is more important this gives you the stamina to step up and make prolonged 'burst' attacks....at least thats what we do in kendo.

You can increase this by say road running (which buggers your knees up by the way) and say running for two the distance between two-three lamposts, then sprinting the distance between the same, over and over again. Looks stupid but it does work...or at least for me.

As for weights well first of all remember you'll be honing your muscles in with all your regular training. Skipping is great!

I used to do or don't the following:

- Whenever you run do so with small 500g weights strapped into the palms of your hands using your wraps. This helps you practice tying your wraps and also gives you upper arm strength so that when your wearing your gloves you don't drop your guard and get whacked!

- Never or very very seldom exercise your biceps as these are the muscles that constrict your arm and stop you from punching. Only posers go for spinach-induced-popeye-style-anvil-biceps!

- Triceps Triceps Triceps! These help you punch. Tricep dips are great, alternating with your hands spaced apart (shoulder width) for a set or two then with you hands together for a set or too. This ones always funny when your arms are totally knackered! Any other tricep isolation. Don't forget to go nice and slow. I always go twice as slow going down (I mean really slow) as I do going up.

- Lateral raises and the like so you work out your lats, deltoids and back.

- Calf raises.

- Farmers Walk (weights in each hand walk forward bend on one knee, keeping legs bent at 90 degrees, step thru onto next leg the same etc etc. , or squats

- Sit up's or more commonly, laying on my back with a medicine ball or dumbell in my hands arms outstreched. Raise your legs and weight off the floor couple of inches off (this is now the rest position), raise your legs and arms together to about 45-60 degrees and lower (twice as slow). As many as you can then repeat.

I'm sure there's a few more...hope it helps and good luck.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
scruff said:
I
You can increase this by say road running (which buggers your knees up by the way) and say running for two the distance between two-three lamposts, then sprinting the distance between the same, over and over again. Looks stupid but it does work...or at least for me.

Sounds a lot like fartleking. Very effective.

And you're right about road running - although it isn't just your knees, your shins can end up with compression fractures at the most extreme end of shin splints... Not nice.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
ESpy said:
Sounds a lot like fartleking. Very effective.

And you're right about road running - although it isn't just your knees, your shins can end up with compression fractures at the most extreme end of shin splints... Not nice.

Yeah I've through a bit of trouble with one of my knees because of it, so i know fist hand.

As for the shins....well its kickboxing! any seasoned kickboxer can't feel anything there anyway can they? ;) :D

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
Fartlek ( trans Speed play) is a good thing if you grounding is sound. if you have a base to build it onto it will serve you well.

If you try fartlek before a grounding is in place you are wasting your time. you will undoubtabley build speed, but you will not be able to sustain this for any length of time as the lactic acid build up will be extreme.

Good steady stamina training should take place for at least the first month.

How do i know.... I have run a junior international level, and had possibly one of britains most outstanding coaches.

Stop shin spilints and get an extra workout. Find a forst or a park and run on the grass, it relieves the pounding and strai and the terrain does a lot of the work for you.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Weight training is not good for a fighter,it slows you down and gives you bulgy type muscles,not good for a fighter,a fighter wants long lean type muscles.Look at all the great boxers very very few are or were the body beautiful type.As others have said keep to body weight type exercises combined with road work for your stamina,big bulgy type muscles allso fatigue quicker too.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Weights only build "bulgy" muscles if that's what you work towards. It can't happen accidentally. I built the most bulk when I was doing low reps and high weight. If I had done lower weight and more reps, it would have worked on endurance, but that isn't so important for me.
I could name quite a few boxers who are very built up for their frame, and I would certainly never call them slow.
As to biceps just being for posers... well, I like my biceps, as does everyone else who sees them. The only negative comments I've ever had were from this weedy guy once who obviously wasn't comfortable with himself.
ok, hissy fit over.

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
In my humble opinion, you should be concentrating on building your skills, technique, and mind. Learn how to build your chi. Do you do any energy work?

Free your mind, and the body will follow.
Bruce Lee (I think).

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I still maintain pumping iron is not for fighters,get yourself down the local boxing gym, you will learn more in one nights gym work than ages elsewhere.Sometimes i really think we overlook our own martial arts,boxing,wrestling etc because the eastern stuff is more flash,expansive and more pretty while our own styles are more direct and effective.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE