Waxing Gear

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

directdrive

Forager
Oct 22, 2005
USA
Hello, All: Wanted to know if any of you have ever wax/oil treated your own gear. Figured you Brits would be experts since all waxed garments (Barbour's) seem to have originated from there. If anyone has a proven method, please share.

Tight Lines, Bruce

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Funny you should mention that, I was just thinking last night that I really need to re-proof my Drizabone... I believe the recommended technique is to remove any old wax by washing with saddle soap, then apply the new wax as Mark describes.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
it used to be advertised on the Waxoyl tins ( the stuff for spraying on north sea oil rigs and under cars as a rust preventer ) that it was excellent on leather harness.
If you warm it i.e. in a jar in a pan of hot water it really penetrates . It's great for wax cotton jackets and trousers as well.I've used it on dozens of re-proofs and costs less a gallon than say a small tin of nickwax.I usually warm the coat then paint it all over with a paint brush then rub it in with a piece of scrap towel,works a treat
cheers Danny with a 500 Enfield Bullet :D

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
mark jL said:
I have found for existing waxed wear just stand the proofing tin in a pan of hot water and then when its begun to melt use a paintbrush to apply and then use a warm iron or hairdryer to finish off

harder to proof a new cotton jacket than an existing oilskin butit can be done to good effect

also try the following link

http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=smalser&file=articles_368.shtml

Yup i agree totally,

I have both a Barbour and a Drizabone.

Both have been reproofed a number of times using this method.
I have never washed/removed the old coatings. I just slap the new straight over the old. Gives the jacket the old well used look.

Would imagine it's fairly bulletproof now as well :D

jamesraykenney

Forager
Aug 16, 2004
Beaumont, TX

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you don't mind either tumbling, on cool, a woolly pullover that you don't mind being *oiled*, or scrubbing it out afterwards, a hot ten minutes in the tumble dryer works wonders on getting the wax thoroughly into the old Barbour jackets :D It's more even than the iron or the hairdryer.

Cheers,
Toddy

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Toddy said:
If you don't mind either tumbling, on cool, a woolly pullover that you don't mind being *oiled*, or scrubbing it out afterwards, a hot ten minutes in the tumble dryer works wonders on getting the wax thoroughly into the old Barbour jackets :D It's more even than the iron or the hairdryer.

Cheers,
Toddy

Sounds like a good plan Toddy, thanks for that.

I think it will have to wait a year or two though. Our tumble dryer is nearly new.

SWMBO would be after me with an axe if i oiled it all up!!! :D

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
ArkAngel said:
Sounds like a good plan Toddy, thanks for that.

I think it will have to wait a year or two though. Our tumble dryer is nearly new.

SWMBO would be after me with an axe if i oiled it all up!!! :D

SWMBO????
is this some sort of code??? :confused:
chris

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
chrisanson said:
oh right ,thanks lol
i can be a bit thick somtimes (and others i just act thick ;) )
chris

No problem my friend,

It's a sign of our society that i am sat here at a full sized keyboard, capable of typing 40 words a minute and i still choose to use text speak.....very lazy on my part.
Not something i do very often, and a bad habit i don't want to get into. Even my text messages are usually hammered out in their entireity (much to the amusment of my friends) :D

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
I also use the Toddy method. I generously apply the wax in as even a layer as is possible with my hands, then turn my coat inside out and do up the snaps. 10 minutes in the dryer and most of the wax has distributed itself without getting much on the dryer drum....just do not do a load of towels next as they turn out a bit water resistant. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE