Warp Weighted Loom

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I fancy making a warp weighted loom. Do any of you lovely weavers out there know of a good reference to such a fine device. Instructions for warping it up would be handy too.

I've decided I really must start making my own cloth and by the time I make up the loom it'll be time for winter projects. Weaving is a good winter project.

Also, because I won't have the time to spin wool from fleece myself, will ordinary knitting wool be suitable for weaving? I'll be able to buy white and dye it myself using natural dyes. Or am I missing something important?

Eric

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
As someone who has the biggest warp weighted loom in Scotland (two entire yew trees :rolleyes: ) trust me, keep it simple.
The best bet is to think that it has to come apart into a bundle of sticks; not like the wonderful construction of the Galgael that takes five men to lift it.

After that, it's a brilliant piece of kit and makes beautiful cloth.

cheers,
Toddy

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
As someone who has the biggest warp weighted loom in Scotland (two entire yew trees :rolleyes: ) trust me, keep it simple.The best bet is to think that it has to come apart into a bundle of sticks; not like the wonderful construction of the Galgael that takes five men to lift it.

After that, it's a brilliant piece of kit and makes beautiful cloth.

cheers,
Toddy

Pictures Toddy?:)

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Thanks guys, I've just managed to find a copy of 'The Warp Weighted Loom' by Marta Hoffman on evilbay. Got it on Buy it Now for $16 (about £8) Now I just have to wait for it to arrive from the colonies.

Amazon had two for sale priced from £64 :yikes:

Eric

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I was once asked, while taking part in the Largs viking festival (as a Viking re-enactor:swordfigh ) a question that stumped me for an answer. Mostly because I didn't undertand the question. The question (asked in complete seriousness).....Did the vikings always hang their doughnut to dry. :confused: After a few moments looking around confused, I realised that the person was refering to the clay loom weights. I am proud to say I managed to keep my composure long enough to answer to the best of my knowledge, and for the questioner to get out of earshot, before collapsing in laughter:lmao::lmao: :lmao:

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I was once asked, while taking part in the Largs viking festival (as a Viking re-enactor:swordfigh ) a question that stumped me for an answer. Mostly because I didn't undertand the question. The question (asked in complete seriousness).....Did the vikings always hang their doughnut to dry. :confused: After a few moments looking around confused, I realised that the person was refering to the clay loom weights. I am proud to say I managed to keep my composure long enough to answer to the best of my knowledge, and for the questioner to get out of earshot, before collapsing in laughter:lmao::lmao: :lmao:

Now there's an idea. I was going to go down to the seaside and get some flattish stones and drill holes in them for the weights. Never thought about making them from clay. They would just be air dried though as I have no way of firing them, but they would do until I found time to do proper stone weights.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE