Warning to Disco 2 owners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
This is a heads up for those discovery 2 owners who haven't already been knobbled. Went out to my car to go to work this morning only to find some complete :censored::censored: hole had nicked both my front headlights!
After a bit of cursing and general 'why me's', i did a bit of research and this is very very common. Takes the buggers all of 45secs to pull them out. the worst part is that they cut the wiring so you have to (in theory) have a whole new wiring loom fitted. The rest of the damage was minimal and my local landy garage in leamington are splicing in new wires to the loom rather than replacing it> still £600 i could do without finding.
There are ways to secure the lights better apparently but even light protectors are pretty good i've been told.
Anyway,
thought i'd give folks here a heads up before my sorrow drowning reduces my ability to type, lol!

Baggins

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
£600... Will your insurance cover it?

I had a headlight glass break on me when I bumped it to get it onto dipped beam a couple of years ago, cost me £25 for the new unit, a 40 mile round trip to fetch it, and I fitted it myself, I know it isn't always as easy as that due to "needs" but £600 is painful

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
hey guys. my excess is £350, SO, by the time i'd paid that and had the premium increase, it just isn't worth it. (by shear chance, my renewal came through today as well, and have tken out protected no claims now, so not so bad).
Wingstoo, a pair of headlights for a disco are £275, new mounting plates £40, new wiring harness £35, plus fitting etc. if i had it done through the insurance company, they'd have insisted on a new wiring loom (£1500), but my garage are using a conversion kit that folks use when updating earlier discos to the new light systems, so just splice in the new connector instead.
Still a complete bugger but cheaper than the alternative AND they are fitting an anti theft plate as well so, hopefully it dosn't happen again.

Baggins

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Luckily there should be plenty dead Discos at the breakers yard which would be a much cheaper option than buying new headlights. Plus if I remember correctly there used to be a company online that did a conversion for Disco 1 lights to make them into Disco 2 lights, pretty sure they could be made to fit a disco 2. Any way look at your local scrappy and or there are online scrapies that you key in the parts your looking for and they do a search for you. (Cheaper ringing around yourself though). Like most Landy owners I spent a lot of time looking for spare parts.

Sorry for your loss though Baggins, hope you get sorted out.

ATB,
GB.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
hey guys. my excess is £350, SO, by the time i'd paid that and had the premium increase, it just isn't worth it. (by shear chance, my renewal came through today as well, and have tken out protected no claims now, so not so bad).
Wingstoo, a pair of headlights for a disco are £275, new mounting plates £40, new wiring harness £35, plus fitting etc. if i had it done through the insurance company, they'd have insisted on a new wiring loom (£1500), but my garage are using a conversion kit that folks use when updating earlier discos to the new light systems, so just splice in the new connector instead.
Still a complete bugger but cheaper than the alternative AND they are fitting an anti theft plate as well so, hopefully it dosn't happen again.

Baggins

I thought the £600 was the insurance price, my error...

Protected no claims is often the way to go...(Except the excess)

Be careful if they upgrade your lights though, it may increase your premiums as it is an alteration to original equipment specification and/or it might also fail a road side inspection or an MoT if they use High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps in them.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
fortunately (if you can call it that), my lights were the facelift ones already, so the new ones are a direct replacement.
All done, plus the additional brackets. fingers crossed the thieving swines don't come back.

Keep an eye on it, they know that you have new ones now...

One of my neighbours has had his garage broken into three times in a year to get at his fishing tackle, he now has an alarm, armoured side door and the old up and over door has been plated and fixed to the wall each side...

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Thats an old trick I know loads of Disco2 owners that have lost the head lights over the years....

one of my old landy mates has made some brackets and fixed them to the body from the inside....

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Such a shame we cannot kill the scum in the act if we catch them in the act!:cussing:

I just don't get the understand how stealing other folks stuff is ok! I just don't get it!

Slightly over the top I know but this kind of stuff makes me so angry!

Last edited:

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
well, i bit the bullet and stuck on some genuine LR light guards as an additional and visual deterant. apparently my face was a picture as i drilled into my nice shiny wings.
Still, if it stops the thieving scum, then they're worth it.
Cheers
for all the support.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE