Vildmark and WEISS course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Right then,i've taken the plunge and booked myself on the summer Vildmark/WEISS course 2008.

I am toying with the idea of walking from Oslo airport to the training area and back,make a month of it:D

All i will be taking is a swag/bedroll and a homemade haversack/metrosexual manbag that i am fashioning out of a canvas kitbag (photos to follow.)

I want to carry only the bare essentials and basha up every night at the side of the road.

Looking at my 1:200 map of Scandanavia i reakon the distance to be just over 100km which isn't that bad a distance if i give myself a week to do it in.I once did the commando challenge in the Falkland islands in four days at a distance of 88 miles (130 ish km) with a full load+ bangstick without too much difficulty.

Am i being a nutter?

Is anyone else going on the course(s)?

What are the regs at that time of year for making fires?

Do you need a fishing licence?(i'll want something for my supper:D )

I'll be definetly carrying a mozzie net and some homemade 'punkie dope' as i imagine Norway/Sweden to be similar to the Muskeg in the summer.

All advice welcome:)

P.S. anyone whos going on the course and fancys tagging along is more than welcome,it might stop me from painting a face on a football and calling him Wilson.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
All i will be taking is a swag/bedroll and a homemade haversack/metrosexual manbag that i am fashioning out of a canvas kitbag (photos to follow.)

I want to carry only the bare essentials and basha up every night at the side of the road.

Looking at my 1:200 map of Scandanavia i reakon the distance to be just over 100km which isn't that bad a distance if i give myself a week to do it in.

Nice idea. You have to be seiously unfit if you need a whole week for that distance. A normal person with the load you are describing should be able to do it in 4 days without a sweat. Avoid the highways, a couple of tourists have been drugged with anaesthetic gas on campsites close to the highways. I'm looking around for hiking trails in the area now, but I haven't found one yet. Theoretically you will walk right by bison tents, so why not pick up a lavvu on your way? ;)

Am i being a nutter?

certainly not. Just make sure you have good maps, and that your land nav skills are up for it (which they probably are since you seem to be an ex-serviceman).

What are the regs at that time of year for making fires?

In sweden it will most likely be prohibited, due to summer drought. As long as you have larger bodies of water close to the fire, it shouldn't be a problem. But don't get caught! Or take a stove, to be on the safe side.

Do you need a fishing licence?(i'll want something for my supper:D )

On the swedish side you will need a license, different for different lakes and regions. But there is one that is valid in almost all of sweden. It's hard to find info in english actually. The only stuff google throws up is on "experience packages", who in their right mind want to spend sh1tloads of dosh for a weekend of hunting and fishing? Anyway, have a look at this document, might clear some question marks.

I'll be definetly carrying a mozzie net and some homemade 'punkie dope' as i imagine Norway/Sweden to be similar to the Muskeg in the summer.

It's not so much of a problem on these latitudes. It's far worse up north.

Thanks Big swede mate.

My map reading skills are very good (not being big headed honest) so thats not a problem but getting decent maps might be.

As for getting gassed lol,do not feel sorry for me,feel sorry for any dead man walking who tries that on me.I will show them some basic systema moves lol:lmao: and try not to hurt them too much.

Would a small firebox be ok to use as i do not want to lug around methalayted spirts and a trangia.

I would keep a low profile anyway as per usual.

I thought seven days would be good so that i could take it all in and not have to rush and camp near the many lakes that i see on my large map of Scandanavia.

I am getting giddy with excitement just typing this post:D

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
I am hoping to book a place on the W.E.I.S.S. but have to sort outsome stuff before I can book it :11doh: - hope I dont miss out as it looks to be a challenging course.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
There are some good maps in 1:50000 that covers all of sweden. Similar are available for Norway. You find both at www.lantmateriet.se (swedish land survey). Easiest is probably to send them an email. I have some digital maps if you need any (via pm).

Cheers Swede mate.

I might just make my own patrol map using google earth and take a 1:200,000 to give me a steer in the right direction.

Failing that i will just keep walking north until i reach the snow:p :eek:

Would a firebox be within the excepted regs regarding fire as i do not want to carry meths (also illegal to carry on an aircraft)

What sort of wildlife may i encounter in that area?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE