Ventile "SAS" style jacket (Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
Nice. I would want the neck tunnel to be bigger so that other layers could be worn underneath, and a wired hood with a better storm protection - thats the only two things I would want different.

Oh, and as it stands? that smock is kit sex!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Would it be rude to ask how much it cost?

Sorry Chris, this is an open forum and SWMBO sometimes reads over my shoulder:lmao: .

Seriously, I don't know as I bought it as part of a job lot and we agreed a final figure price not individual items.

It was cheaper than my Westwinds smock though!

Give Andy a PM - Or when he gets back from his Easter camping trip and sees this he may put a price on it.

Simon

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Sorry Chris, this is an open forum and SWMBO sometimes reads over my shoulder:lmao: .

Seriously, I don't know as I bought it as part of a job lot and we agreed a final figure price not individual items.

It was cheaper than my Westwinds smock though!

Give Andy a PM - Or when he gets back from his Easter camping trip and sees this he may put a price on it.

Simon

If the price was right I'd be interested in one. I suspect that Andy's gonna have a very full inbox when he gets back :D

That's a d_mn fine looking smock.

Funny in an ironic sort of way. You have an SAS DPM smock you won't wear any more, and I have been searching for one in the surplus stores over here for years because I love the DPM pattern. I don't want a new one as I don't really care for things that look new, but all of the ones I have found have been more than well used and have a VERY high price tag....so I'm still searching. Life is funny like that some times isn't it?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Mistwalker whats a high price tag(in your view) for comparison with over here, and you want a used one but in good condition(eg grade 1) im sure surplus stores over here would ship, but i would imagine that would bump up the price considerably. I could pm you a list of stores over here that sell them if you like.

forestwalker

I have just communicated with Andy and there will be a group buy for these shortly....price will be about £150 (TBC).

Questions:

1. How are the pockets designed? Fold over "tubes" (so small stuff don't get lost), or plain lids?

2. Will it be with proper buttons or velcro?

I'd have to look at the conversion rates if these questions have the right answers.

Mistwalker whats a high price tag(in your view) for comparison with over here, and you want a used one but in good condition(eg grade 1) im sure surplus stores over here would ship, but i would imagine that would bump up the price considerably. I could pm you a list of stores over here that sell them if you like.

That would be great, the ones I've found here locally...and that's been a while, were almost $250.00 and had holes in them...large holes... and there wasn't even any material available here to patch them with.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
i've had my sass olive ventile smock for nearly a year with daily use.
overall it's a very very good piece of kit if a little over priced.

When it arrives, swap the plastic grip lock from the front cinch cords to the back hood cinch cords. this configuration is far more practical because you can easily tigh a shoe lace bow knot from the front but try doing it behind your head!

Also whip the ends of all the cords as they fray quite rapidly. The inner strands of paracord are ideal for this.

The poachers pocket came in handy a couple of times for carrying a pint of milk back from the shop late at night.

Here's the knot I use to tighten the waist. It grips securely, is adjustable (obviously) and is easily untied with a single pull from a tight finger grip. The left cord, which I'm holding, is the one which you hold straight out while you run the knot in towards you to tighted the smock aorund your waist. Hope the picture is clear.

sdc10586b.jpg

i wonder if anyone has another knot/technique for this purpose???

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Hmm, sound like a recipe for hypothermia if you're out in the hills with no cover around. I think I'll stick to Gortex.

Jim

No problem with double Ventile Jim.

I have worn mine in Lake District rain for a day and been drier than I have in a Goretex jacket.

The outside layer was soaked but nothing came through to my jumper.

Single layered jackets might be dodgy for prolonged use though.

Dec 9, 2008
N/Tyneside
It looks very similar the British army ones that are really good, also the British army ones are cheaper when you buy a good used one on the internet

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
An quick update:

9 Months on and the jacket is still going strong.

I have worn it for day walks in the woods in very heavy rain, playing in the snow, camping with the Scouts and general UK weather. On each occassion it has served me well and I am still very happy with it.

The only mod I have made is to add "D" rings to each of the pockets, just under the flap, for securing gear to (micro LED torch, whistle, SAK, Silva compass).

ATB,

Simon

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Okay, okay- don't brag!

I spoke to Andy ready to buy one a couple of months ago and he hasn't got any material left and isn't expecting any from the way his emails have read.

Good job loads of us didn't want one! Glad to hear you are enjoying yours.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks for getting the pics back up Simon. Looks to be a good jacket, I've sent Andy a PM to see if he's still able to produce these. Otherwise it's a toss up at the moment between the Arktis Country Covers Smock or the Kestrel, ie, loads of pockets or hardly any pockets.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE