Under quilt down question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Just like with every new bit of kit I am bothered with questions and doubts.
Just ordered a full size winter under quilt from UKHammocks. It comes with 500g of down but of course there is an option to overstuff it.
I'm not extremely weight concious but the whole point of paying for down is to be light.

So will it work just fine with "stock" filling and what gains/benefits overstuffing would give me?

Thank you for any thoughts and sharing your experience.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Just like with every new bit of kit I am bothered with questions and doubts.
Just ordered a full size winter under quilt from UKHammocks. It comes with 500g of down but of course there is an option to overstuff it.
I'm not extremely weight concious but the whole point of paying for down is to be light.

So will it work just fine with "stock" filling and what gains/benefits overstuffing would give me?

Thank you for any thoughts and sharing your experience.
That is a question that I am wondering about also, and if a bag is overstuffed, are the chambers also oversized to accommodate the extra loft?

If the chambers are not altered, exactly what happens to that extra down?

Interesting post BigMonster.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I had one of their Winter hammocks with over fill and it was just too overkill for me. It was really warm but didn't pack down as good as I originally expected so have now gone for a Warbonnet Yeti summer quilt 2/3 length. I can always just throw a layer or two etc if needs be. I prefer the modular approach. It all just depends on what temps you're expecting to use it in and how you sleep etc as everybody is different.

I've not been out in my new one yet so am yet to see if it will do for me/my sleeping. If it's not enough I may get a slightly loftier quilt.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
If you ever get the chance to try one from the US your will see and feel the difference.
They fit better and are much warmer and lighter.
He is basically the only guy in the Uk who makes them, but he really needs to update his gear.

Im going to start making a clone of one this week because i have seen the difference.
Yes its more expensive but its worth the money.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I appriciate your advice. And I would go out of my way to get fe a "perfect" mountain jacket as I 'm in the mountains every month.
But for occasional hang Matts stuff is good enough for me. And actually the "basic" design suits me as I have used his last quilt as a duvet.

Back to the topic. What are your thoughts on down overstuffing?

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I got one from a chap on ebay - blue sky lavender. Again seems fairly basic, but I've not seen many under-quilts so can't make any comparisons. It's what I'd call a 2/3 covers feet to shoulders on me [5,10] not hugely filled and only with 700 down but it seems warm enough for my purpose and it is very light. It was around £100 [it was a present and that's as close a figure as I was given - they were on his site for 120 ish but I was told she got it cheaper :)]

But yeah not many people in uk making under quilts:-

snug pak [not down though]
uk hammocks
blueskylavander [ebay]

are all the folks I've found in uk.

It's not necessarily the cost from us that's the problem but import tax, shipping, VAT etc can mount up and make it unreasonable to purchase.
[no connections to any of those - just what I've found during searches]

EDIT////

whoops took me that long to write this I didn't spot your request to bring the thread back to the original question.....

Last edited:

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Bigmonster, should be fine, but you're as tall as me(?) . I asked matt for another 5cm of length.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Bigmonster, should be fine, but you're as tall as me(?) . I asked matt for another 5cm of length.

I'm 6'4''. Last one I had was 1.60m and it was just right to cover my feet and shoulders. Until I started moving around during the night. So the standard full size should be just right to avoid cold spots. And now they make them with "draft collars" which I assume should give me better seal/extra lip at each end.

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
I bought the full size winter under quilt from UK Hammocks with standard filling last year. I'm not sure of the temperatures I've used it in, but I was out in it in December just gone, and most months last winter and so far I've found it toasty warm. No complaints from me at all, It's a great piece of kit.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
I bought the full size winter under quilt from UK Hammocks with standard filling last year. I'm not sure of the temperatures I've used it in, but I was out in it in December just gone, and most months last winter and so far I've found it toasty warm. No complaints from me at all, It's a great piece of kit.
Exactly what I'm after. My only doubt was haw well it lofts with the standard filling. I would think that extra down wouldn't really help with warmth but more with the way it fills up and to prevent cold spots like a sticking out knee.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE