Trying out my sail bracket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've had this sail for about 3 or 4 years and never had a pole to use as a mast/spar.

I recently scraped together the cash to buy a pole then made a bracket from ash, to fit the pole to the canoe's seat:
P3140004_zps7975e9db.jpg

The foot of the mast fits into a leather sleeve which in turn slots into a foam block;
P3140006_zps15fb7374.jpg

This is the set up on dry land:
P3140008_zpsb8774f51.jpg

and this is me sailing on Ullswater in a fairly stiff breeze this afternoon!:
[video=youtube;S5FG0-JGYvU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5FG0-JGYvU&list=UURddL3mkjOvJ3tAtVH pW-XQ&index=1[/video]

Happy Days!:cool:

Steve

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Canoe sailing - free miles!
My own rig is a bellied Bermuda sail made from ripstop silicon nylon which slides down the pole like a condom and has a boom made from an old shock corded tent pole.
The pole/mast fits through a shaped thwart (my boats are 16' but rigged for solo paddling) and into a wooden "foot" that is glued and screwed to the hull (it feels wierd drilling holes in the bottom of your boat!).
I use a paddle as a rudder/leeboard
Canoe sailing can be fast and fun and is suprisingly stable!

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Looks really good Badger, did the canoe feel stable with the sail up or did gusts make you wonder?

I'd expected to have to lean over to balance the boat but it was fine. The wobbling is the camera hanging round my neck and the ( at times) quite big rollers.

John is absolutely right it is fast, fun and stable.

Here's another clip;
[video=youtube;KocE1BZS-Wc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KocE1BZS-Wc&list=UURddL3mkjOvJ3tAtVHpW-XQ&index=1[/video]

Steve

ps: looks like photobucket are messing around again:nono:

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE