tripods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
hiya gang

now as some of you will know i used to have a silk tripod that had a three way head and well it broke the other week and i need a new one and i definatly want a three way head again it was dead usefull but i dont have a clue what to get so your expertise and knowledge would be usefull.

now budget i dont want to spend anymore than £120 but it must be able to take a dslr with different lenses cos i am eventually going to be using more than just the kit lens.

secondly i want it to be able to take a video cam and seprate mike but it will be a small digital dv cam with external mike attached.

can you please advise

drew

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
manfotto 190 with a 3 way head, mine has a ball head now but i have a 3 way head (i think its the standard one - its nothing special) i would be willing to swap or something, wouldnt want much for it

the 190 or similar legs are bombproof, i once used mine as a ladder to get over a wall....... the base model ones are a reasonable weight though so nice and firm but a bit heavy, carbon fibre ones are available but they are $$$$$

i have this head
http://www.manfrott spareo.com/product/8374.31708.76884.0.0/391RC2/_/PhotoVideo_Pan_and_Tilt_Head

the 391rc2, although the one i have is the older version so not as curved, i dont have a tripod plate for it though

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
err its just the head, i still use the legs with another head on them, to be honesty its jsut sat in my loft for a few years now, i can take a pic, you can just have it to be honest, i have no idea how much it would be worth not much im sure, it came with the legs just pay for the P+P if you decide to get manfrotto legs (although it will fit on other tripod legs like gitzo or slik etc)

the legs i use are these
http://services.manfrotto.com/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=2&itemid=796

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Apologies if this is bumping this thread. I am also looking for a head for my tripod. Looking for something to put my video camera on. Thanks

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
mafrotto are the best tripods in the world. they are proper tripods for pros. if you break anything, i.e a leg clip, you can order a replacement straight from them as opposed to forking out masses for a new tripod. they are incredibly well made and i have never looked back.

garethw

Settler
mafrotto are the best tripods in the world. they are proper tripods for pros. if you break anything, i.e a leg clip, you can order a replacement straight from them as opposed to forking out masses for a new tripod. they are incredibly well made and i have never looked back.

Hi there,
Eerrrr!! Manfrotto tripods are indeed very good value for money and I've used them in the past. But they are only entry level pro, and have some issues... but if I was to suggest one make it would be them, they offer the "best bang for your buck" as our American friends would say. They do not however compare to Gitzos that I have always used as a pro photo model.
cheers
Gareth

trekkingnut

Settler
Jul 18, 2010
Wiltshire
Hi there,
Eerrrr!! Manfrotto tripods are indeed very good value for money and I've used them in the past. But they are only entry level pro, and have some issues... but if I was to suggest one make it would be them, they offer the "best bang for your buck" as our American friends would say. They do not however compare to Gitzos that I have always used as a pro photo model.
cheers
Gareth

ok, i happily accept that, when i said pro's.... i meant people who were very into their photography as opposed to people making money off of it.... sorry if i misled anyone.

garethw

Settler
ok, i happily accept that, when i said pro's.... i meant people who were very into their photography as opposed to people making money off of it.... sorry if i misled anyone.

No worries, as I said I'd have recommended them too as not many who don't work in photography want to spend £500 plus in a tripod. My first video tripod was a 501 Manfrotto, big, solid, well built and heavy but did the job. I now have a better Jap model... but I still use my 25 year old Gitzo for stills.
So the the chap looking for a decent tripod I'd say look at the Manfrotto range... for still photography you don't need the same level of performance you do for video.
cheers
Gareth

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
hiya gang

now as some of you will know i used to have a silk tripod that had a three way head and well it broke the other week and i need a new one and i definatly want a three way head again it was dead usefull but i dont have a clue what to get so your expertise and knowledge would be usefull.

now budget i dont want to spend anymore than £120 but it must be able to take a dslr with different lenses cos i am eventually going to be using more than just the kit lens.

secondly i want it to be able to take a video cam and seprate mike but it will be a small digital dv cam with external mike attached.

can you please advise

drew

Drew,

I started to read this thread and saw all the back and forth about what you should get instead and skipped over it.

Why not just get another Slik tripod if you were happy with it? I have 2 and they are great value and good quality. A Slik PRO 330 DX with 3 way head can be picked up for under £100. It holds up to 5kg and weighs 1.5kg.

I current have a 5D Mark II and 70-200 f/2.8 lens on it with no issues.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLIK-Pro-330-DX-Complete-Photo-Tripod-Head-/180528016263 - Auction
http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/8881544/Slik-PRO-330-DX-Tripod-160cm/Product.html?_$ja=tsid:11518|cat:8881544|prd:8881544# - Play.com

Review
http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/eq...127245/1/slik-pro-330dx-with-sh705e-head.html - they comment on the plastic leg locks. Personally never had a problem and if fact preferred them in extreme cold as they didn't freeze tight.

Last edited:

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE