Trangia Cooking

• Thread starter Deleted member 4605
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 4605

Next week I'm going to be teaching Trangia Cooking to our First Class Scouts, and I busy trying to figure out if there's anything I can show to them other than basic use and care. I'd especially like to get them making something unusual (but quick!).

Any advice anyone?

I did consider posting this in some of the other sections of the forum, but I wasn't sure which was the best section besides this one or what the ettiquette here was on cross-posting.

M

Millbilly

I boil a smoked sausage, then use the boiled water for a spicy cous cous. They go well together, and are quick and easy. Filling too, and easy to clean up.

Good luck

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
Are you just doing Trangia cooking, or is it going to be showing them all kinds of stoves? We had a good thread on AirCadetCentral on a similar theme a few weeks back. Rather than recreate it here, have a look:
http://www.aircadetcentral.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5362

I remember on DOE making Beanfeasts - not really passable as proper cuisine, but it contains more nutrients than the slag of snacks - the mighty Potus Noodlus!

What about Army Ration packs?

Oh! I know - but it's name escapes me - that rice stuff, which isn't proper rice... errr... Risoto? With some pepperami, tomatoes, white wine and peppers!

D

Deleted member 4605

Batfink said:
Are you just doing Trangia cooking, or is it going to be showing them all kinds of stoves?

Yes, although I was thinking of procuring a hex burner just to show them. We already do a lot of campfire cooking, so this is just to make sure they're comfortable with the trangias.

Batfink said:
We had a good thread on AirCadetCentral on a similar theme a few weeks back. Rather than recreate it here, have a look:
http://www.aircadetcentral.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5362

The link doesn't seem to be working. :confused:

After doing a bit of reading, I think I might get them to try Bannock. We do twists and dampers with the campfires, so the idea's not too alien to them and it will show you can do more than just boil water/liquid. Now I just need to have a go making it myself first! :)

Batfink

Forager
Jul 18, 2004
Newbury, Berks, UK
www.alexpye.net
mmm... link seems fine for me - and it's an unsecured section, so you shouldn't need to sign up or anything!

You could, if you're feeling brave and don't mind cleaning up afterwards, have a crack at an omlette in the frying pan!

miniac

Forager
Sep 1, 2005
Rainham, Essex, UK
Hi mate,

I have shown my explorer scouts how to do speg boll, chilli con carnie, steak and ale stew even turned the mighty trangia into a steamer to do stuff! You can do almost anything you like!

hope that helps

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
Have you tried "boil in a bag omelette" ?

Crack an egg in a small ziplock sandwich bag. Add salt, pepper, herbs etc.
Seal it and squish it all up.
Put the bag in another bag and add a twig or leaf for ease of identifying which one belongs to who.
Pop in boiling water for 10 minutes.
Take it out and wrap it in a tortilla...no mess, no washing up...yummy.

Also, have you tried alternative fuel for the trangia. Greenheat. Made from sugar cane smells like rum. Having said that DOE here in Hampshire dont promote it becuase there is no visible flame in sun light but is worth demonstrating.

I lit one next to a hexi stove as a demo. Couldn't see the greenheat flame at all. Some of the unit didn't believe it was alight until I held a piece of kitchen roll over it!

good luck
Andy

D

Deleted member 4605

Well it sort of went well!

I had four scouts, split into pairs. One pair used my (proper) Trangia whilst the other used an army one. Both mixed up a batch of dough, and the ones using my stove cooked something resembling bannock thanks to the simmer ring, but the pair using the army stove ended up with essentially charcoal - they ate most of it though, and all of the other scouts were queuing up to get some of both batches!

All in all it went very well, and when w're back out camping again I'll show them how to cook it (properly) on a fire.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Sounds good.

A couple of weeks ago we did some cardboard box cooking where you cover the box in tin foil, put charcoal in the bottom and the food on top and it cooks the food - destroying the box in the process normally.
I cooked a bannock in my cast iron pot on the remaining embers of the charcoal - not bad at all, and the kids liked it as well.

Mark

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
My lot (Explorers) love "Ainsley Harriot" spicy pasta and tomato. It comes in its own pot you just pour on hot water, stir and eat 5 minutes later.

Its expensive but cheaper than wayfarer type meals, you just boil water, no washing up, and it tastes like real food.

One of those, a pitta bread and some kind of chocolate pudding keeps them full until bed time.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Corned beef stew is a good standby
1 can corned beef
1 packet Bachelors dried mixed veg
1 packet Bachelors dried mushrooms
1 packet Bachelors dried onions

If possible, soak the veg for an hour before use, cuts down on cooking time. Bring the lot to the boil, simmer until cooked, thicken the stew with an oxtail cup-a-soup and serve with smash, or add a pack or two of 5 minute rice to thicken and its a one pot meal.

Vesta beef risotto is another one pot meal (Tesco still sells it)

Mash a can of pilchards with a fork in your pot, add water and a pack or two of 5 minute rice, add curry powder to taste = one pot fish curry

Quick cook pasta and cheese with diced spam added

All cheap and cheerful meals that will fill a hungry youngster :)

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
rik_uk3 said:
Vesta beef risotto is another one pot meal (Tesco still sells it)
:You_Rock_

Mine also sell the Paella, Chicken Curry and the Chow Mein. I used to live on those things when I was out on expedtions! I bought a beef Rissoto the other day just to see what they were like now, but SWMBO ate it and said that there are not as good. Pig!! :(

I was just going to check the prices at Tesco online but they want you to register first, so they can poke that, and I went to Sainsbury's instead. They had the Paella and Chiow Mein with the following description

"Soft noodles with beef granules, soya mince and vegetables topped with crispy noodles and soy sauce.

GENEROUS PORTION - contains dried ingredients.

WITH NEW IMPROVED NOODLES.

If you should meet a creature with the body of a snake, the head of a crocodile and the claws of a lion that's flapping leathery wings and breathing fire you've found yourself a dragon. For centuries the Chinese have considered this mythical animal a symbol of power and fertility. Down through the ages they've used the dragon to decorate everything from clothing to cooking pots. Dragons were belived to live on a diet of human sacrifice. But that may be because easy to prepare, tasty meals - such as the exciting eating experience of our Chow Mein - were not readily available in ancient times. There's a point to ponder as you enjoy your Vesta meal. "

I assume that the Mushrooms talking :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE