Top 5 Bushcraft Writers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
DOC-CANADA said:
In no particular order;

Priimitive Wilderness Living and Survival Skills, John and Geri McPherson
Survival Skills of Native California, Paul Campbell
Woodsmoke, Richard Jamison
Primitive Technology - A Book of Earth Skills, Society of Primitive Technology
The Tracker, Tom Brown Jr.

As far as The Tracker goes, there is a lot of controversy about Tom Brown Jr., but if not for this book, I, and thousands of others, would never have started along this path, so for that reason, I had to include it in my list.

As far as the 2 Bushcrafts (Graves and Kochanski), I definitely would have included them, but as they were already mentioned, I thought I would throw a couple of new ones into the mix.

Abbe mentions the swedish army survival handbook. I'm still waiting for him to translate it for us. :) Also I agree with him re: "The Winter Wilderness Companion" and "Winter Wise". Both are good books.

BTW, Abbe, I met Garret and Alexandra Conover at a Winter Camping Conference, here in Ontario, Canada. Both very nice people, and, of course, very knowledgable.

Sorry doc to be so late, I just happend to see post from you:
Both books are amazing, special if you live in winter land.
I would like to meet with them and learn from them, I believe they do a good job with their company. Not bushcraft but not mainstream tourism either. I really like what they do.

Hope you bought the books as they are great.

cheers
Abbe

2blackcat

Nomad
Nov 30, 2004
bromley
Richard Jeffries wrote a couple of books about the english countryside

The Amateur Poacher being the one I liked best

Not bushcrafti but a good read

D

DOC-CANADA

Hey Abbe;

Hope you bought the books as they are great.

Yes I did, and judging by the used book price on Amazon, it's a good thing.

Bushcraft books is one area where I don't scrimp.

Cheers!

chrisvreugd

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2005
Netherlands
hi, inspired by your lists of books, I dicided to buy books about bushcraft...
so, which one would you suggest,
- wildwood wisdom
- camping and woodcraft//Horace Kephart
- woodcraft//Nessmuk
- The Book of Woodcraft and Indian Lore//Ernest Thompson Seton (does anyone know about this one?)
- ray mears...(which book is best?)

or do you know a better way to start reading about bushcraft...

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
chrisvreugd said:
hi, inspired by your lists of books, I dicided to buy books about bushcraft...
so, which one would you suggest,
- wildwood wisdom
- camping and woodcraft//Horace Kephart
- woodcraft//Nessmuk
- The Book of Woodcraft and Indian Lore//Ernest Thompson Seton (does anyone know about this one?)
- ray mears...(which book is best?)

Hi mate,
Its hard for me to tell you what is the best for you as I don’t know the other books, I only have from your list Camping and woodcraft/Horace Kephart.
His book is a very big book about Woodcraft/Bushcraft & Wilderness living.
Now about the book, it’s a book you can’t read in an afternoon and run out inspired and hungry to try it all out in one go. Kepharts book is more like and encyclopedia of living in the Bush, you will have to read the book or some chapters again and again when you are in the situation.

You know the guy was living in the woods for years and out of this knowledge he wrote the book.
There you get all the old knowledge you will need, but it’s not a coffee table book you can zip through. You will get tired of a bombardment of knowledge already after one or two chapters. I believe it’s as complete a book can be teaching the craft of wilderness living. My first choice, but as it was written a very long time ago you will not find anything about gps, snow machines, chainsaws, rip stop nylon etc.

When I buy books I listen what my fellow Bushcraft buddies are telling me, then I surf over to www.amazon.com and read the reviews there, surf the net and try to find more info about the book, after a while I know if the book is something for me or not.

good luck mate
Abbe

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
chrisvreugd said:

Chris,

I found the following book very useful:

"naked into the wilderness, primitive living & survival skills"
By John & Geri Mcpherson
ISBN: 0967877776
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0967877776/ref=sib_dp_pt/103-7804425-8357453#reader-link

It is written in a very down-to-earth-style, has pictures in it and includes diverse subjects as firemaking, braintanning hides, flintknapping, making a bow etc.
If you happen to live around Amsterdam you can get it in the library (location prinsengracht).

Tom

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Galemys said:
Chris,

I found the following book very useful:
"naked into the wilderness, primitive living & survival skills"
By John & Geri Mcpherson
ISBN: 0967877776
Tom
Hi Tom
only prob is its more than twice the price on this side of the pond :confused:
Thanks anyhow M8. Will keep my eye open for one.

Rgds
Tutchi
:cool:

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
:) Hi Doc
I read Thoreau almost daily.

Did a search as you suggested Thoreau. Walden and got almost 1400 hits. Which one are you advocating? :confused:

Cheers
Tutchi
:cool:

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
How about a lap-top and mobile phone link that way no need for books just log-in to BCUK. that way access to more advice than 20 books lol
Dave.

stevo

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2005
Scotland
Abbe Osram said:
PS I didnt write any of Rays books because I dont have one and havent seen one either. As the first and best is too expensive to get for me, which one would you suggest I could buy instead.

Not sure if you got an answer.... The first one...The survival handbook is very difficult to fibd yes.....I would reccomend 'Bushcraft'. A thoroughly inspiring book.....!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE