Too many tents dilemma!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
I was going through my kit store last week and realised I don't need all the tents I have. The only decision I could definitely make was to get rid of one!
I'm now left with:-

The family sized (3/4 person) Wild Country.

Phoenix Phreeranger

Phoenix Phreerunner (single skin Gore-Tex version of the above).

Vango Force Ten Mk. 2.

North Face Mountain 25.

I am asking my self which of these do I really need and at the moment, I'm sad to say I can justify all of them :rolleyes:

There's no way I can get rid of the Wild Country as it's the family tent. The Mountain 25 is my 2 man mountain tent, totally bomb proof and has kept me warm and dry during very bad winter weather both up here and in the Alps.
The Vango is an old friend and I can see this being used by my son and friends as he gets older.

The two Phoenix's are again old friends, both very light and very reliable. Again, both these have seen me through some horrendous weather and although older designs, I have not seen much around that compares to these.

To be honest, there is a side of me that realises I'm keeping some of them more for sentimentality, probably one of the two Phoenix's is surplus to requirements as they are both the same size.

If I ever get round to affording a Tentipi I will thin the herd, probably down to a couple but just now I can't bring myself to part with them.

Are there others out there with the same dilemma, too many tents but can't bear to part with them?

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
A Vango force ten was kindly donated to me at the weekend. It hadn't been used in twenty years so its stinks. Its been getting a good airing in the backyard and a bit of air freshener.

Nice little donation there, you should have some fun in that. somewhat make me wish I still had mine.....

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i know what you mean i have a sunncamp evolution for the family
vango banshee for soloing and backpacking
pop up tent for summer soloing from the car
slumit cub II for my and my eldest son (4 yrs)
polish army laavu
and tarps

and i too am dreaming of a tentipi set up or a soulpad lol

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
If you've got the space to store them, why part with one ?...........I'm sentimentally attached to most of my gear, nowt wrong with that :)

Easy for me though I've only got the one tent.;)

nutz

Dec 20, 2004
Walderslade
Guilty as charged.

9 person Tentipi Safir ( for when the whole tribe comes along)
Hilleberg Akto for me backpacking in winter
Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT for me and one of the tribe in winter
Cheap tent for kids to play in
Various tarps, hammocks, bivvys yep enough for 3 people.

So yes I have an issue with too many tents and I've just justified them all.

Really trying hard not to buy a MLD Trailstar at the moment to add to the list, lightweight, bombproof big enough for two..... Must resist!

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Phoenix Phreeranger

Phoenix Phreerunner

I like Phoenix tents we have a Phreak floating out inthe garage some where and if I could get hold of a Phortress I'd have it like a shot...

There's a Wild Country Gemini out in the garage that makes no sense but I'll not part with it.....

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I know what you mean.....

Hilleberg Nammatj 3GT
Vango Equinox 450
Vango Hurricane
Robens Double Dreamer
Terra Nova Terra Firma
A Vango pop up

Thing is that they all get used depending on where we're going. I'm currently lusting after Hilleberg Nallo 4......................

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Guilty.

Massive family camping frame tent thing
4 man 2 bedroom tent which I usually use at Le Mans
3 man dome (see above)
Terra Nova Quasar
Terra Nova Solar,
Terra Nova laser comp
Terra Nova Jupiter
Rab survival zone bivi

They cover enough eventualities for me to have a tent handy for whatever I want to do. Haven't ruled out buying any more though.

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Well it's good to see I'm not the only one! Tentaholic, I like that, looks like nicliv is tentaterraholic!

It's brilliant to see that the Vango's are still highly regarded even though they were designed in the late 60's/early 70's and they still make them!

It looks like the Phoenix tents, even though they are not made any more, are also still highly regarded as well. Had a look on ebay and there has been a few sold recently, fetching good money as well! £235 for a Phreerunner and £170 and £192 respectively for a couple of Phreerangers :eek: Hmmmm.............

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE