Tom Brown Jr

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Many years ago I picked up a copy of 'Urban Survival' or a similar title. I think that in the years since I have found other writers with more to tell and superior skills to impart. He has his followers though so he must be doing something good. :)

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Too much of a 'guru' for me. What I’ve read was fiction pretending to be fact.

I'd also suggest you take a look at eh work of Ernest Thompson Seton before you make up your mind ;)

Last edited:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I've got a few of his books which I picked up as a job lot from a car boot sale. Putting aside the 'Bushcraft mysticism' there is actually some quite good skills taught. In his survival guide he suggests training exercises to increase your independance & skills which I found quite useful.
His books arn't a patch on RM of Mor's but I would certainly put them ahead of likes of BG or Chris Ryan which are IMO just poor versions of Loftys SAS Survival Handbook.

Mr Wolf

Jun 30, 2013
Nottinghamshire
I've got a few of his books which I picked up as a job lot from a car boot sale. Putting aside the 'Bushcraft mysticism' there is actually some quite good skills taught. In his survival guide he suggests training exercises to increase your independance & skills which I found quite useful.
His books arn't a patch on RM of Mor's but I would certainly put them ahead of likes of BG or Chris Ryan which are IMO just poor versions of Loftys SAS Survival Handbook.

A very fair assessment

Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
I have by Tom Brown:
Nature Observation and Tracking - Excellent all round book.
The Science and art of Tracking - excels in pressure releases.

I had sold them a while back when short of cash but liked them so much have just re-bought them.

Tom Brown is often criticized for some of his work which probably stretches the truth. I think we forget that no man is perfect and create false idols. If you go to the Dr. do you expect him to have read only one book or many on his subject? I have added these books to a collection of books on tracking, specific mammal books and plenty of dirt time.

For me they are valuable in my collection but by no means not definitive. There is no single source that is definitive on the subject of tracking.

Bonzo Frog

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
Worcestershire
Thanks all for your input goodjob. I think I'll get one or two of his books and see how I like them then put them into my slowly growing library. As someone famous once said "take what's useful and disregard the rest". Alongside other books I'm sore they'll contribute to my knowledge.

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE