To Build a Fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good one Doc, I read this a couple of years ago and as you say, it stays with you. Quite sobering really. It makes one realise how much they relied upon their skills to keep them alive and how much knowledge and skill we have lost. Not often we get to the -70's though :yikes:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
A real classic. When I was a kid this was widely read in schools in the U.S. The nice thing about London is that he writes from experience. A true adventurer.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Its is a good story Doc - i remember seeing it as a short film once - really does bring home the importance of a few good skills and a little knowledge.

Always amused me that the dog seems so confused by the mans suseptability and weakness in the cold.

Jack London and Robert Service are both men we can identify with.

Mel

Nov 13, 2003
West Sussex
www.wilderness121.co.uk
Yes - a beautiful story. Thank you for reminding me of it, I haven't thought about in years and will have to dig it out and share it with Rob now.

May I also recommend White Fang, also by Jack London.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
All of Jack London's 'Yukon' stories are worth a read. I have seen some criticism of him, on the grounds he died a bloated alcoholic, by his own hand, and only spent a single winter in the Yukon.

Having said that;

The stories ring true. Much must be either personal experience, or first-hand account from someone else. Either way it's reliable.

There is considerable doubt that he killed himself. Lots about this on the web.

Anyone who stands a single winter in the Yukon, in [/i]fin de siecle gold rush conditions, deserves our respect. In my opinion. Especially after carrying a ton of supplies over the Chilkoot trail.

Agree Robert Service is also worth a read. Or better still, a read around the campfire, while the bannock bakes.........

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
I've printed it off and was reading it a while ago as work is soooooooooo quite at the moment. Anyhow, I got half way though the book and thought that it sounded fimilar. I carried on reading and when I finished it dawned on me why I remembered it. I read it as an english lit assignment at school!!!!!!

Funny who things don't intrest you then do now.

ATB
Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE