Tipi and Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
After years of enjoying family camping holidays my wife has decided that they should join me on my colder camps.

This does not mean they should rough it mind you.

We should get one of those nice canvas teepee thing with a wood stove. HOORAH.

So which one and where from?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Does it have t be a canvas tipi?

I have a Helsport which I love...coupled with teh stove it is brilliant in winter. Easy to put up on your own, light enough for one to carry, dries quickly and packs up small (ish).

DSC00249.jpg

DSCN2379.jpg

I got mine from Tamarack (of course:rolleyes:)

Simon

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have the Tentipi Safir (was called Varrie when I got it) in heavyweight polycotton canvas, with a Bison stove. Superb combo. With the canvas you don't have to worry about melting the tipi material in quite the same way with a hot flue. I also have a Helsport tipi but haven't run a stove in it.

The general advice with tipis is to get a size bigger than you think you will need.

NS

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Thanks for the replies fellas.

Tentipi with a stove looks fine - but which one? It'll be for four people and two dogs at first with kids going int their own tents as they grow.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
You'll probably need 6m plus for that lot if you plan on using a stove. Ours is gonna be a squeeze with three and stove with kit. Alternatvely Green outdoors do an awesome hemp mix with porch that can have optional sides, good for the kit and dogs!

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
I am happy with nylon IF I can get the right stove and I certainly want to burn wood.

I am thinking of wall tents to add a little extra space around the edges, but am starting to be less fussy.

Love those setups. SimonM I think you have my perfect system and Bluezook - fantastic setup.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
If going for the Tentipi Safir, go for the 9.

Also I wouldn't neglect the idea of a bell tent - much cheaper and roomier because of the side walls, although more flappy in wind and much heavier and fitting a stove is a little trickier (you have to have a hole in the tent)

NS

Sep 9, 2012
edinburgh
It's not Canvas but an awesome Tipi and a super Stove: Bergans Lavvo 4-6 + Helsport Stove
For the Family a little bit small but Bergans have also bigger Tipis.

5210513.jpg

5210515.jpg

ANDY

HI - i'm thinking about buying a begans lavvo and using with a frontier stove - how do you avoid rain getting in beside teh chimney on your set-up?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE