Tinder Fungus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I learned something useful last night and thought I would share. When using Inonotus Obliquus fungus as the hearthboard material for a handrill set, a notch is not required. Simply place the drill in any natural depression in the fungus and begin spinning. I had a coal within 5 passes down the spindle and rather than dealing with a smoldering pile of powder the entire chunk of fungus becomes a very large coal. Nothing short of immersion will extinguish tinder fungus once its lit. Sure wish I could paste a photo here...

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Theres one to try keep em coming Jeff :biggthump i tried the other in my fire piston and it works great, er talking of fire pistons hows it looking? :naughty: :wink: (email the pic to me and ill put it up :biggthump )

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Inonotus obliquus is I believe the true tinder fungus

image021.jpg
http://www.rozanski.henryk.gower.pl/cancer2000_pliki/image021.jpg

while fomes fomentarius is the false tinder fungus.
fomes.jpg
http://www.campo-research.com/campo/gallery/herb/japan/fomes.jpg

I have searched my local woods here in SE London where there are many silver birch trees. I have found a number with some black sort of fungus with a crumbly brown deeper layer, but if I put a match to either the deeper stuff or the surface nothing catches. Can't be the right stuff then?

Is inonotus obliquus rare in my area?
There are some quite woody polypores - shelf fungi growing on some local hardwood trees. How could I test if they behave like fomes fomentarius?

The top photo is Inonotus. It is easily the blackest thing you will find growing in the woods. The outer surface is rough, hard and charred looking. The inner material is brown ( buckskin color ) and spongy. Its great stuff. It works with the fire piston, traditional flint and steel, burning lens and the hand drill. You can use it as charcoal for cooking, the smoke keeps insects at bay and a tea infusion is said to combat tumors. And, it smells nice too....

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Ok i got some birch fungus. Now how do i cut it up? Do i cut when wet or when dry. Now on size little sq. for fire piston and small strips for flint &steel help.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
oops56 said:
Ok i got some birch fungus. Now how do i cut it up? Do i cut when wet or when dry. Now on size little sq. for fire piston and small strips for flint &steel help.

Which fungus do you think it is? There is a 3rd much more common fungus on birch called piptoporus betulinus
Piptoporus.betulinus.jpg

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
mine called fomes fomentarious it cuts easily when wet should i cut it like meat slices and little sq. for fire piston

firemaker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 26, 2005
Minnesota, USA
stores.ebay.com
I prefer to break off a randomly shaped piece that fits in the tinder hollow firmly, but not so tight it gets stuck, that is flush or sticks out slightly from the end of the piston rod.

firemaker

oops56

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 14, 2005
proctor vt.
Now do you keep the fungus whole or is it cut up smaller so you brake a peice off.Mine are 1 in. to 3 or 4 in. big.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE