Time on my hands

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
I cracked several ribs and bruised me back and all sorts of things on friday 8 -7 while horse riding in Greece. Im now able to move about a bit, what can i do [bushcrafty that is] to keep myself occupied? Im gonna start by making some char cloth any suggestions would be welcome.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Could be a good time to check your kit, get everything sharp that should be, cleaned, repaired and organised. Re-read your bushcraft library looking for new ideas. Perhaps try a few small projects like putting together various kits, i.e. first aid, fire kit, possibles, sewing kits etc. Try out & refine recipes in the comfort of you own kitchen.

Hope the above helps and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dave

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Busted ribs are a right pain - you've got my sympathies there...

You could try carving a few little things? Maybe more ornate than usual, depending on your skill level I suppose.

As you're a bit imobilized, you could see if you can really 'survive' on the contents of your survival kit in an 'emergency', in the garden or the front room not deliberately marooning yourself somewhere :rolleyes: what might be dead simple as a fully fit adult might not be so easy with limited movement? If you find you can't do something crucial, you can always go inside and sit on the sofa with a cup of tea to think how to improve your kit or technique, then let us know too :)

Finally, spend your new found free time hunting on the web for better deals on your mortgage, insurance, loans, credit cards, gas and electricity, etc etc... then work out which custom made knife to buy with the money you've saved :D

StormWalker

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 4, 2005
Mid-Wales
Why not try a bit of home made Jerky check out Hoodoos recipe it is cracking. :)

Hope you feel better soon crack ribs are a killer!

Have you sneezed yet? :eek:

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Thanks for the Ive made a bit of char cloth and found some fluff in the drier. Keep the ideas coming as the doc said it would mean at least a month off. Ive got bits of kit strewn all over the house ,as soon as my side can take the hard ground im off to the woods but i think that will have to wait at least until the weekend. Thanks again.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Can't you kip in a hammock? Give it a whirl in the back garden, rip the old girls washing line down and get your hammock up there instead, grab a book and a 'soft drink' and chill out for the afternoon, see how you get on.

Actually, don't rip the missus' washing line down, your ribs will never mend if you do that!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE