Thinking of making a shave horse.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks
for a while its been obvious that for effiency and safety a shave horse would be a real good idea for myself, and the rest of the family who all periodically like to turn perfectly good wood into shavings.

Whats stopped me is being perpetually skint / being unable to source some big bits of wood that I'd be prepared to have in what's functionally our living room. I dare say I could have knocked something up from scavenging wood, bits of pallets etc, but that would have gone down ill with she who pays the bills and wouldn't sit well with my own tastes.

Anyroad, I recalled saving the top from a old, partly collapsed, workbench that was in the Shed when we moved in 10 years back. I'd chucked it in the old coal shed and pulled it out to dry off a few weeks back.

it will reduce in size a bit as I plane all the surfaces down to good wood, the tops blackened to about a quarter of a inch down and there s a cut hole and rusty bolt to work around at one end but its a 2.75" by 8" by 42" piece of solid beech, plus some other bits ill be able to get some usable strips out of. I was thinking I could get legs and a seat from a charity shop beech chair/ bar stool, something I see quite often for a few quid if beaten up.

imagejpg1_zps5458e28c.jpg

What would be handy would be to see what folk have made from similar bits of wood, ideally with a link to the plans they used. Because of the size differences in the potential users (5 foot 2 and shrinking to six foot currently but two of the lads will probably top me easily by the time they stop growing) I'm leaning towards one with a sliding seat.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE