Therm-a-rest MOD

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Anyone know what these are like

X8-MATTRESS THERMAREST SELF INFLATING
Reference : TC251

Issued to the MOD, this mattress is the best of its generation. Lightweight yet very comfortable and sturdy, easy to set up, it will provide you with the best insulation possible. Trail regular. Measures 51x183x3cm. Rolled 56x15cm, weight 879g

X8-MATTRESS THERMAREST EXPEDITION REGULAR
Reference : TC252

Issued to the MOD, this mattress is the best of its generation. Lightweight yet very comfortable and sturdy, easy to set up, it will provide you with the best insulation possible. Trail regular. Measures 51x183x3cm. Rolled 56x15cm, weight 879g. 5cm thick once rolled.

Both are from here http://www.usmcpro.com/usmcgb/indexf.php?PHPSESSID=1163e8e308c1cbe90e4d1ca9caba7848 You have to go to the EQUIPMENT tab at the top of the page. CHEERS

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
Don't believe a sellers site, go to a military source and find out if army issue is really army issue. Each department will vary.

I have a Classic Thermarest in OD green with a big "R&D!!!!!!" spray painted on it in white lol!. Guess the research and design department had some problems holding onto their new gear long enough to test it :D Well now it's mine.

Anyway, this one is about 20 years old and serves me fine. I had to replace the valve when I bought it and it's still there. The trick is to fill it up completely, lay on it, and then slowly deflate it until your curves settle in. You must protect it from sharp rocks but it is pretty durable and can be fixed with their repair kit or a good duct tape.

Thing is, the Classic is rather heavy at 2lbs. The new Prolights are just under or above the 1lb mark depending on the model. Prolites come in four models: 3 season 3/4 pad, 3 season full pad, 4 season 3/4 pad, and 4 season full pads.

The price for the lighter weight is in a thinner top, while the bottom looks almost as durable as the Classic.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
As far as I'm aware UK forces don't get issued Thermarests (I certainly haven't!) but I know that US forces do. Tiso outdoor stores are also stocking green thermarests similar to the one in the photo.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
I think both Dutch & Canadian forces get them issued, not MOD. You can get punctured ones surplus for £10-15, then buy a repair kit and fix it yourself, its cheap and its kind of recycling.
Neil

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
I think I might have solved the mystery, I think a bit of false advertising is going on there because I have just found this site which has the same therm-a-rests listed as http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Therm-a-Rest-Trail-3.html

And http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Therm-a-Rest-Expedition.html

but I think I might get one of these http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Exped-Thermomat-25cm---Short.html as I am only 5' 5" and I no a lot of people on here don’t like camo put I feel the same about bright orange like the pro light I just couldn’t :eek:

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
What! You don't like bright orange in the green woods? Hahaha!

Thanks for the reminder. I have to start bugging the Thermarest people for a earth-tone Pro-lite. The buggers even took their black/grey Z-rest foam pad and made it right orange...grrrr....

It might help is everyone (even if not buying a Prolite) email the company and politely enquire as to when an earth-tone Prolite is comming out. I'm gonna tell them I won't buy a orange Prolite cause I'm against gaudy colours in the woods.

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
Dont seem to be able to get a short thermarest any were unless i want it to be in a bright colour has anyone got any ideas or will i have to get the German kip-mat HELP.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE