Them squirrels is too quick!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Wildlife Ranger said:
Personally, I prefer squirrels (grey of course) to rabbits, as they have a much nicer flavour, and there is a surprising amount of meat on them.

I can see your a man with a refined palate. :notworthy Just ignore the lagomorphic preferences. Some people like McDonalds too. Go figger, eh? :wink: Rodents rule!

Of course, the other reason is that they are American invaders, and should be killed at every opportunity to save our (almost extinct) native red squirrel which they're wiping out!!
It seems that most of our problem wildlife is American, but I don't fancy eating a mink!! Crayfish, on the other hand .....

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Yes, but the reality is that invading species of all types from Europe have been far more successful (and far more damaging) in the U.S. that vice versa.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Actually I can't think of any introduced species of squirrel in the U.S. But when you look across all phyla, it's quite remarkable. Take worms for instance. Probably half the species of earthworms in the U.S. are introduced. A couple of friends of mine wrote an article on this (species invasion) in BioScience back in '96. They surveyed all species and the article addresses insects in particular.

Invasion of North American Forests by European Phytophagous Insects Legacy of the European crucible? By Pekka Niemela and William J. Mattson. See link below if you are interested.

http://www.aibs.org/bioscience/bioscience-archive/vol46/nov96.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE