The self sufficient year - month by month

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We've been producing a video series for a while called "The Chicken Year". Its a obce a month series covering what we're doing in chicken breeding, egg and meat production, health issues etc. Its been very popular and we've been asked to do something similar on our self sufficient activities - growing, preserving, fuel harvesting, making household items etc.

This week is the first episode of "The Self Sufficient Year" - I thought some members might enjoy it and also chip in what they are up to :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Food wise almost entirely in fruit and veg with the exception of bulk carbohydrates (potatoes, rice, wheat). We produce our own chicken and take some wild meat (rabbit, duck, pigeon), a friend sorts us out with venison that we butcher. We buy in pork fro a good friend who raises rare breed pigs, but, for example, cure whole loins into bacon.

This is our meal tonight IMG_20220916_190933.jpg

The potatoes are Sharpe's Express, grown by me in our compost in repurposed feed sacks.

The butternut squash was picked yesterday. It's been a terrible year for pumpkins but great for butternut squash.

The peas are telegraph tall. Lovely but not the best use of space.

Thr chicken is one of our early Buff Orpington cockerels. No use for breeding as related to our hens and raised in our orchard which cannot be ploughed because of tree roots. Hatch to dispatch within 100 yards of the kitchen.

The stuffing is Sage from the herb garden, some of the bolted onions & last years dried apples plus some breadcrumbs (we didn't grow the wheat)

The sausage is from;

https://www.thedecentcompany.co.uk/

You will see them in the video. Martha makes the best sausages I've tried.

The gravy is based on our chicken stock, with our own bay, roasted onion & carrot and thickened with a little (bought) cornflour. I can't grow cranberries for sauce so I make sloe jelly (we have produced sugar, the same as we have grown wheat and ground flour, but it's not efficient as a use of time)

Within a week or two we will cook it on the Esse with fuel that we cut, split & season.

Hope that helps

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The latest installment of The Self Sufficient Year is now put. I used to think that it would be restful in Autumn & Winter.

How wrong I was!

Reactions: beachlover

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE