The secret household kindling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Most savoury snacks burn really well, Doritos and Whotsits are particularly good, but try nuts too. Cut the end of a brazil nut so that it can stand upright and light the tip. It's a mini candle that'll happily burn for several minutes :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Burning food seems a terrible waste... But many nut shells burn well, especially pistachios.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Be careful if you use alchohol hand gel while bushcrafting as it goes up really easily! You can even use it to cook over!
Cotton wool soaked/rubbed with vasaline are brilliant fire starters and if you leave a bit of the wool dry and tease it out you can start it easily with a ferro rod. Mine last for nearly 7 minutes!
Cotton dryer lint in excellent stuff to use with a ferro rod and you'd normally throw the stuff away!

Asa.

chem_doc

Tenderfoot
Sep 14, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Dryer sheets (especially used/spent ones) burn surprisingly well. Don't even know if y'all have them across the Atlantic... These are the sheets you throw in the dryer with wet laundry to prevent "static cling" and give them a fragrance...

Doc

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
Dryer sheets (especially used/spent ones) burn surprisingly well. Don't even know if y'all have them across the Atlantic... These are the sheets you throw in the dryer with wet laundry to prevent "static cling" and give them a fragrance...

Doc

they are available here, but as far as i know they are not widely used.

ATB
TJ

Jan 11, 2007
Aberdeen, Scotland
I've got a green ex army plastic tub thing (decontamination kit written on it) and I tend to keep it full of tumble dryer flurr (it is really flammable) mixed with birch bark curls.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
i heard that all soldiers in afgahnistan now carry a few tampons (male and female) because they make the ideal dressing for a bullet hole.... as one medic said

sterile, absorbant, with a handy applicator to get it in the hole and a string for the medics to get it out again at the hospital

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
You know those little round or oval cotton pads women use for makeup removal ? 100 for 69p kind of thing ?
Wipe one with some vaseline and it'll burn for ages :D

cheers,
Toddy

Yes these are good - and I find them less messy to use if you cut about half way round the edge with scissors, open up the pad and put the vaseline inside with a spoon, and then close it up again ie just make it flatter.

You can then stack them in a can - duraglit can worked for me - and you can take one out at a time. Before I did it that way they tended to become one horrible greasy mess when squashed up.

Jul 14, 2006
Gateshead (Tyne and Wear)
The best thing i find for fire lighting I have at home isn't crisps tampon's etc, bog standard cycle innertube - pre cut into strips ('popped' ones are best as your not wasting an otherwise usable product) come hail, rain wind or snow these baby's will burn even when they are wet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB6I9jO_lg4mears

edit: I got caught out once and had nothing dry so I used the cellophane wrapper of my cigarette box, worked like a charm

Last edited:

leealanr

Apr 17, 2006
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Cotton/vaseline mix (buy a cheaper unbranded version such as Tesco etc, its cheaper but still the same product). Burns welll and for a long time. Tumbledryer lint is brilliant, catches well with a firesteel.

Rubber inner tube has not worked particularly well for me, must have been the type of rubber I suppose.

Tampons are the same as cotton wool, highly absorbent but you can cut them in half and double your chances, the wrapping they come in can also be used.

"Dry" hand gel which is alcohol based is good and serves a double function.

Can't burn bank statements any more as I only do Internet banking!

Alan L.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE