The numbers up for the Capercaillie ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
In a good way of course, the Capercaillie numbers have risen over the past few years according to current research.

bbc news said:
Capercaillie numbers rise in commission forests
_49746295_capercaillie_bbc_304.jpg

Capercaillie are a threatened species according to the RSPB

Numbers of a rare grouse have increased over each of the past four years in woodland managed by Forestry Commission Scotland.

Sixty-one male capercaillie were counted this year, almost double the number recorded in 2000.

Lekking cocks - males competing for territory - were counted.

Capercaillie - categorised as a threatened red list species by the RSPB - are found in upland areas of Grampian, Tayside and the Highlands.

Kenny Kortland, species ecologist for the commission, said the increase in male birds followed 10 years of work to improve the birds' habitats.

He said: "Over the last six years we've recorded higher numbers than we did 10 years ago, but the last four years have given us an unbroken year-on-year increase in numbers.

"If you think that back in 2000 we only counted 31 lekking cocks, and this year we counted 27 active leks and a total of 61 lekking cocks, it looks like all the hard work is paying off."

Mr Kortland added: "It just goes to show that it is possible to reconcile conservation management of a species with other objectives.

"In fact, we are noticing that capercaillie appear to breed well in pine forests managed for timber production, and plan to investigate the reasons for this."

Capercaillie breed in 16 commission managed forests.
Original story here: bbc

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great news, I heard one up there when I was a kid out for a ramble with my folks. I can never remember where it was but we were climbing a hill to see a crashed WWII plane site, very eerie place on the top with a tiny loch and one of the engines was on top of a little island. I heard the capercaillie through the mist but never saw it.

EDIT:

Found it at last ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USxOFE7MqOE

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE