the best way to put a hammock up?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

miyakoboy

Aug 16, 2004
South Harting
hi there, i have just bought a relatively cheap hammock and was wondering what the best way to secure it to trees is? Obviously i could use a medley of knots but thought i might be missing something. Any thoughts, suggestions, comments?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Might be worth getting yourself a couple of 2" wide webbing straps with small loops at both ends like you get with a Hennessy Hammock. They help to not damage the trees you are tying on to.
I use two small lightweight ally krabs on these and tie a simple Italian Hitch on to them so that I can easily adjust the tension after the first two or three nights in camp. I finish the Italian Hitch off with a normal half hitch which is pulled through on the bite to start a daisy chain that I continue for the rest of the tie line untill it's all plaited up neatly but still comes straight off with one pull.

I use round turns with the above daisy chained half hitch on my tarp guy lines too, the whole set up can simply be pulled free with a tug on each line.... ideal if you're a late riser like me and simply wish to "pull and go" rather than spend time sleepily untying heaps of other knots when you should be enjoying your first cup of coffee by the fire :D

Hope that helps,

Bam.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
I tend to always carry a long length of rope for various purposes rather than lots of shorter bits - things like dolly knots and sheepshanks take care of excess rope.

What I tend to do is to tie up one end of the rope to one tree (often a prussik knot or similar, since then it can be slid up and down the tree with relative ease), then tie the other tree's loops/knots in the bight. (usually a bowline in the bight)

The leftover rope I take up the tree a foot or two, and then tie taut across back to the original tree to form a supporting line for my basha. This saves on having 2 separate ropes, and means you can carry one longer piece of rope for other uses.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE